hello, new here

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Alan82
Noobie

hello, new here

Post by Alan82 »

Hello, thought id drop past and say hi.

Im doing an electric conversion on a motorbike, i have a yamaha V-star 650 that i broke the engine on. i replced it over a weekend then stared at the old broken engine before having the brilliant idea to jam a big electric motor inside it and utilise all its gears and convenient shaft drive.

So far ive mostly finished modifying the old engine casing, Im sorting out the drive gears between the motor shaft, old clutch basket and oil pump, because what good is a 5 speed gearbox without its own dedicated oil pump and shaft lubrication system...

The batteries will be 18650 Li-Ion cells, I have around 250 or so atm, but i think i need around 420 total as im looking at a 7s10p x 6 banks wired in series for 96v.
Its a slow process stripping old laptop batteries and testing cells with only one tester, but im in no rush to complete this project.

https://imgur.com/a/JjgXUJB
https://imgur.com/a/ODE2VaE
Last edited by Alan82 on Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

brendon_m
Groupie

Re: hello, new here

Post by brendon_m »

Welcome.
Neat fit, that motor looks right at home. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build. What motor is it? And what controller are you mating with it?

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Very neat fit! Well done.
Hopefully the placement of batteries won't look too out of place and change the aesthetic too much.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

francisco.shi
Groupie

Post by francisco.shi »

I have an old engine for my dirt bike and the other day I saw some 30kw RC airplane brushless motor and started thinking of doing the same. I just didn't have the courage to do all that.

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m »

I was looking at one of those for my moke, but I realised the way they make so much power is by turning at warp 9.

francisco.shi
Groupie

Post by francisco.shi »

In the case of the motorbike it is not a problem. The old engine redlines at 11krpm. So the gearbox is already geared correctly.

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m »

The ones I was looking at were more like 30000 rpm. That's a bit much for the moke gearbox. And after finishing the conversion, 3000 sounds like it's a bit much for the moke gearbox :shock:

I used to have a balius motorbike, it redlined at 19000 rpm, maybe I should have kept it and used it for a conversion. Being a 250cc 4cyl, at 19000 it made a hell of a noise going down the street. Sounded like moto gp but you would only be doing 60kmh :lol:

Edit for spelling
Last edited by brendon_m on Sun, 19 Jan 2020, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

francisco.shi
Groupie

Post by francisco.shi »

The motors I was looking at were about 15krpm.
A friend had one of those 4 cylinder 250cc. They sounded like you were going top speed and then he would come around the corner doing 40kph. It was really funny. I wonder how many times cops took off thin king some one was speeding around the corner only to find one of those barely doing 60.

Alan82
Noobie

Post by Alan82 »

Hi all,

Im waiting for some parts to turn up off ebay, then I can continue on the motor to gearbox connection. I haven't done the calculations to rewind yet (jeebus, what a noodle twister...) but Im thinking if I can get the motor to spin to 8000rpm, which should be very easy, the gearbox will be running in its factory speed range. From there, I'll adjust the ratio between the motor output and gearbox input to shift the rpm/gearband where I want it. I've got some rough math here that's showing 2nd and 3rd as my city gears, with 5th giving a potential 280kph top speed.
I doubt I'll have the power or the balls to get it up that fast though haha