How common are leaf with 6.6kw on board chargers?

Leaf Interest Group
legacyhardware
Noobie

How common are leaf with 6.6kw on board chargers?

Post by legacyhardware » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 08:15

Hello everyone, I am doing my research before jumping to a full BEV. I have been surfing the net to trying to find a older second hand leaf with a factory 6.6kw charger. I haven't found one yet. Are they rare and get snapped up?
Thanks Raoul

Bryce
Groupie

Re: How common are leaf with 6.6kw on board chargers?

Post by Bryce » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 10:55

Hi there Raoul-only 2013 onwards had the option of a 6.6kW charger. All 2011 and 2012 ones have 3.6. Therefore 'virtually' all Australian delivered ones (which are 2011 or 2012) are 3.6. There were 1 or 2 late demonstrators spotted with the lower hump behind the back seat signifying charger had moved to engine bay. These MIGHT be 6.6. You will need to check the spec and/or use a current meter. Grey import ones likely to have it, but you will also need to check-was not fitted initially to low spec ones.
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: Kona electric, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Selling: 2011 Leaf
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 11:00

Hi Raoul,
The 6.6kW on-board chargers are import model. Definitely need to check this link for imports.

legacyhardware
Noobie

Post by legacyhardware » Mon, 25 Feb 2019, 11:36

Thankyou Bryce and Rudsy.
A shame 6.6's they are not more common. It was worth a try. I do get that in most day to day suburban use the 3.6 kw is adequate.
Sams leaf guide is very handy indeed.
I have been also been looking at env200's that importers have brought in. Asking the same question about 6.6kw chargers, the response has been blank looks or the battery is 24kwh :)
I note the Sea electric van comes with 22kw on board charger :)
Thanks again - the search continues :)
Current Drive: still looking
Past Drive: Holden Volt

plnEV
Noobie

Post by plnEV » Wed, 06 Mar 2019, 12:23

My understanding is the original LEAF's sold in Australia (24kw) were only able to charge at 3.6kw. The range of imports from Japan come in 3 different models - "S", "X" & "G". "S" charges at 3.6kw and "X" & "G" can charge at 3.6kw and 6.6kw if available. All models have access to the fast CHAdeMO charger which will charge from low to (Max) 80% in approx 20 mins. My understanding is also that the "X" & "G" models have an entertainment/communications (2DIN) head unit that can NOT be upgraded to an English language head unit (all visual directions/instructions and selections are in Japanese) due to the unavailability of a replacement Stereo "Facia Kit", only the "S" model is able to be upgraded to and English language head unit as it does not require a "facia kit".

legacyhardware
Noobie

Post by legacyhardware » Wed, 06 Mar 2019, 12:47

Thanks very much, appreciate everyone's comments. I'm still searching and working out my options. That's good information on which models are easily changed to english. There are some excellent kiwi web sites which others have mentioned too. The theory is that the larger on board charger makes the 24kwh battery more practical/easy to live with especially if one intends to use the car for commercial purposes.
Current Drive: still looking
Past Drive: Holden Volt