Superchargers planned/under construction

Tesla EVs Interest Group
Nagaman
Groupie

Superchargers planned/under construction

Post by Nagaman »

Does anyone know of a site that lists Australian Superchargers - planned or under construction?.
There doesn’t seem to be a search function on the Tesla app.
I’m looks for a Supercharger well east of Melbourne and thought there was one at Moe opening soon but I can’t find anything other than the 22 kWh ones.

g4qber

Re: Superchargers planned/under construction

Post by g4qber »

2020 Model 3 SR+ - k kms 10

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Yeah, but there isn’t a single Supercharger east of Melbourne anywhere on the Princes Highway all the way to the border near Mallacoota but I’ve got a recollection somehow of Moe being the site for one.
It remains a mystery why this highway misses out.

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce »

Ditto for the whole of Victoria re DC fast chargers on most major routes .... NSW and QLD are way ahead.
Cheers
Bryce
P.S. Moe DC fast-charger now open.
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: Kona electric
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Bryce wrote:
Mon, 30 Dec 2019, 05:16
Ditto for the whole of Victoria re DC fast chargers on most major routes .... NSW and QLD are way ahead.
Cheers
Bryce
P.S. Moe DC fast-charger now open.
That’s the Chargefox one so I guess Tesla won’t bother duplicating fast charging there.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

Tesla are planning stations at Traralgon and Lakes Entrance as per earlier link but no physical progress yet.

For now, if you want to do the coastal road from Melbourne to Sydney your fastest option is the Chargefox fast chargers at Moe and an AC charge at the Marlo Hotel for ~3 hours.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

If you book online at a destination charging hotel/motel do you separately book for the charging facility.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

No booking for destination charging unless specified in Plugshare (very rare).

Just give the location a call the day before arrival and let them know when you're expecting to charge there. They will tell you if there is any issue with you using it.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Highway 1 with no Tesla Superchargers to the eastern border yet seems odd.

dgh853
Groupie

Post by dgh853 »

I'm not sure why you consider it odd that fast charging infrastructure isn't everywhere you believe it should be. There's less than 20,000 EVs in Australia, that's nowhere near enough to support statewide let alone nationwide fast charging.

The roll out of Superchargers is driven by vehicle take up. Every fast charging site is a significant cost to install ($100K to $2M) and takes many years to achieve payback. Tesla stations are not subsidised and have not received large funding injections from ARENA like the Chargefox and Evie networks.

The Superchargers on that Eastern Victoria route were planned for installation in 2019. That didn't happen. That's not surprising as acquiring sites for fast chargers is an onerous and time consuming task. Chargefox and Evie have a number of planned sites that have also been delayed (eg. Karuah & Gundagai) for a multitude of reasons usually beyond the control of the charging networks.

If you want more fast charging installations get your friends and family to buy EVs. EV uptake and use of the existing fast charging networks is what drives and funds new fast charging site installs.

Tesla, Chargefox, Evie and advocacy groups like AEVA are promoting EVs as much as they can to expand these networks so that everyone (existing and future EV owners) can take advantage of them. Given how much effort many of us put into promoting EVs it's understandably frustrating when someone says "it's odd" that fast charging aren't where they expect them to be.

As suggested before, you're not going to get much conversation about anything Tesla on this forum. Very few Tesla owners are active users of the AEVA forums to discuss anything Tesla - please use the Tesla forums at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdis ... ew-Zealand or on facebook. The Tesla Owners Club is another avenue to consider - https://www.teslaowners.org.au/.
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 Nissan Leaf

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

I’m a Tesla promoter and have spent many hours absorbing in-depth insight via the likes of Sandy Munro and even the strange Jack Rickard - HyperChange and many others......and the family and friends I meet get the full picture of a stressful time ahead for the old world.
I’m a preacher.

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

If the subheading is ‘Tesla EVs’ how come it’s inappropriate to discuss Tesla EVs ?

brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

If other makes of electric vehicles could use Tesla superchargers there would be more support for them.

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Well I finally found a relevant au Tesla forum so this one might as well be wound up I guess.
I’m trying to think of a non Tesla manufacturer that actually wants to succeed in transitioning from the ICE age and eliminate both servicing and their multi level cost structure.

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Nagaman wrote:
Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 09:09
If the subheading is ‘Tesla EVs’ how come it’s inappropriate to discuss Tesla EVs ?
I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss Tesla EVs here however there are more active forums that'll get you more responses on tesla topics. Personally I'd prefer it if there was more of a Tesla following here as Tesla is leading the way in EVs.
In terms of superchargers, even if they don't work with other EVs they are good advertising for EVs in general and in the long term there has been mentioning of a plan for tesla to licence the infrastructure to other manufacturers. So more superchargers means possibly more future infrastructure for other EVs or the other manufacturers will not be able to compete.
In the meantime - advertising. Seems win win.

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

Interesting background to the Superchargers and other users -

https://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/tes ... r-patents/

Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

If you want an up to the minute record of Tesla superchargers that are in progress, under construction, etc. check out supercharge.info. While the official Tesla site has grey markers showing where they plan to install them, this map is more "inspirational rather than educational" as I've heard it described. The supercharge.info locations marked with orange cones are physically in the process of being built (digging, cabling, etc). The blue dots are ones where there is evidence of a physical location planned (such as a council planning application, council meeting agenda, press release or official statement from property owner, etc).

This map is sourced from info anywhere and everywhere - Tesla Motors Club forums, TOCA group on Facebook, various other chat channels, twitter etc.

So far as public DC fast chargers go, I keep a record of all existing and proposed locations here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... G1b5Gc85NA
I haven't really designed this sheet for public viewing so it looks a bit messy, but you get the idea!

Unlike supercharge.info a lot of these are speculative. I've categorised into "operational" "coming" and "speculation", the latter two are vaguely sorted based on my vague opinion on how likely or how soon they are likely to be built. Note some don't have addresses and in those cases the co-ordinates are vague "centre of town" locations.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Chuq - you can add Lake Grace to the list! We should see it in WA in a couple of weeks, and hopefully installed a week or two later :)
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

jonescg wrote:
Thu, 05 Mar 2020, 12:48
Chuq - you can add Lake Grace to the list! We should see it in WA in a couple of weeks, and hopefully installed a week or two later :)
Already there, row 175 :)

Although that's one hell of a timeframe! Isn't it part of the Chuffed fundraiser route? First site already?!?

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Yes, first site on the Perth to Esperance E-highway. We are lucky they have good power there already. It will be powered at 36 kW initially, and when Western Power upgrade the connection they can dial it up to 50.

Oh - it can be upgraded from speculation to 'coming' :D

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

brunohill wrote:
Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 10:10
If other makes of electric vehicles could use Tesla superchargers there would be more support for them.
It’s my understanding that they were approached but (patronisingly?) ‘declined the offer’.

brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

I would buy a Tesla( Supercharger) to Chademo adaptor if I could.

Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

I don’t think we need to be too concerned with access to Tesla superchargers. (Easy for me to say.. none in my state!) However, at the moment the combined coverage of all the other fast charging networks (both the ultra-rapid ones, like Chargefox and Evie Networks – and the fast charger ones like NRMA) are easily dominating them physical coverage wise. There are very few places which have Tesla supercharger coverage which these public networks do not cover.

The difference is, of course, that the Tesla sites often have 4-6 stalls @ 120-150 kW and many of the fast charger sites typically have the 1 stall @ 50 kW – but that’s also reflected in the volume of vehicles, and charging capabilities, of the respective vehicles.

One thing to note is that V2 superchargers in Australia have both Type 2 (for S/X) and CCS2 connectors (for the 3). The Type 2 standard is a little known DC standard which is *only* used by Tesla – will not work with any other vehicles, even those with the same shape socket. The CCS2 connectors are, on a physical/technical level, the same as CCS2 connectors on public chargers. The authentication to charge is based on the VIN of the car – this is how Tesla does it without any swipes etc. needed.

Where V3 superchargers have been installed in Europe (there are only two so far), they have had CCS2 cables *only*. What this means for S/X owners is unknown – either they just won’t be routed to these locations by their in-car nav unit, or they’ll use an adaptor.. all speculative. However it does suggest is that in the long-term, when scarcity of charger is not an issue, these V3 superchargers may just become reconfigured as standard CCS2 public chargers.

Note - there are no V3 superchargers in Australia yet – even the current under-construction ones are V2.

It’s also not particularly well known that the “VIN to authenticate” feature is a part of the open CCS standard. i.e. The automated way that Tesla superchargers identify the vehicle and can bill the owner appropriately can easy be replicated to other vehicles, using Chargefox/Evie chargers, or (again, theoretically in the future) Tesla superchargers. In the future…

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

I personally think that using the Mennekes connector for both AC and DC charging is very risky. Several S/X Teslase have been immobilised because of a failure of the switching contactors.

Nagaman
Groupie

Post by Nagaman »

We used the Tesla Supercharger(?) at Richmond on Saturday mid-afternoon and only got a max of high 30s kWh sharing as number 2 and again mid-evening just 68 as number 1.
Certainly nothing startlingly fast.