The Aptera is back

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Richo

The Aptera is back

Post by Richo » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:33

For those who don't know the Aptera is like a plane without wings.
They went under some years ago but now they have been restarted.
www.aptera.us

The new Aptera ev is now sporting solar so they claim that it can do 60km a day without ever needing a charge.

So I hope all those environmental protesters around the world do the right thing by the environment and buy one.
No point complaining the earth is F*^ked and not doing something to fix it yourself.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

Richo

Re: The Aptera is back

Post by Richo » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:36

here's one now...

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:41

Here's the original with no solar.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:43

I like the shorter bonnet on the new one but prefer the front wheel covers on the old one.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 12:56

"Dad, What did you do when the Earth was going to some version of "hell" in a handbasket?"

"Why, I told those annoying protesters to buy my favourite kind of vehicle. Did I go too far?"

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 13:54

to think there's still people studying to become petroleum engineers, and the fossils are still investing in expanding the carbon extraction capacity.....I think we're actually doomed tbh

That doesn't change our approach though. keep buying electric cars, keep putting up wind turbines and solar panels.

My Vectrix is getting long in the tooth - front wheel bearings went the other day, rears now feel like they're giving up the ghost, head bearings stuffed, motorcontrollers end of service life, the batteries only have a year or two left

Maybe I need an aptera next
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 13:56

I wonder if you can get an add on package that includes the wings and tail .... and maybe a propeller so you can get up enough speed to take off into a headwind and glide to the next destination :lol:
Solar powered and will travel 60km on a full charge, my plug in Prius is solar powered and will travel a lot further than the 60km per days recharging, but I do need to be next to our Hino motorhome to access the solar :lol:
I did make up a 17 panel array from 100w semi flexible panels that I could plug in direct and stack the panels in the boot for travelling, but it needed a good sized rest area for me to spread the solar panels out without then getting driven on or walked on :roll:

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Richo

Post by Richo » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:45

Our head fatcat thinks we are one of the smallest contributor in the developed world and ahead of global targets.
In my opinion yelling and screaming at them won't make a difference.
Especially when the implication will put thousands of people out of work and billions of dollars of lost export revenue.
So the next best thing is to force the change by doing it ourselves.
If that means buying an Aptera to do it I'm all for it :lol:

Alternatively we could have a trial run:
1. increase the fuel excise by 500%
2. increase export tariffs on coal by 500%
3. increase electricity prices by 500%
3. Ban international air travel unless departing for good

Lucky I'm not a fatcat :o

Richo

Post by Richo » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 12:47

antiscab wrote:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 13:54
there's still people studying to become petroleum engineers
Does that come under the diploma of Ancient History :lol:

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 13:58

Hi Richo

You said:
Our head fatcat thinks we are one of the smallest contributor in the developed world and ahead of global targets.
Especially when the implication will put thousands of people out of work and billions of dollars of lost export revenue.

This is why I replied to you. I believe that this is what you think too. Very transparent. Quiet little gibes to keep the status quo. Like our major newspapers, many owned by the same people.

I think you are right about what we should be doing. But we aren't the leaders??? Did I say leaders. Are they all private-school people. Brilliant at keeping the status quo. No strategy concepts at all.

Australia gets a large proportion of income from exporting a dangerous good, initially dangerous to all the other living things, with us going out last. The birds will fall out of the trees, as they have already done in previous heatwaves. The acidic oceans will destroy some of the creatures. etc etc.
There are people in South America (not Venezuela) who are penniless because the oil ran out (major income for the country) but no planning was done for what comes after that.

Should we all get out and pray, maybe take a witchdoctor with us for guidance? (I'm such a gossip)

I can't help but think of JFK's speechwriter, that brilliant man, who Might Have Said:
“We choose to go change the direction of our ongoing destruction in the next decade, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.”

Richo, Einstein said that only a fool repeats his/her mistakes hoping for a different outcome, or something like that. But with you, I'm talking to a ghost, aren't I ? :)

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 06:01

Richo said:

Explanation: Don't say anything that you refuse to act on.

Explanation: You would know. You have no intention of changing your failure to act ('you' being the collective 'you')

Explanation: Hey, I might lose my job. It pays well. I'm alright. Yes, I'm well schooled, privately. We're ok.

So the next best thing is to force the change by doing it ourselves.
Explanation: The outcomes of people here who (a) Love the tech and do it anyway (b) Love the tech and the good outcome and are doing it and (c) Are taking action in these very slow acting desperate times - Are the people who are running the future of this country while the so-called fat cats are pretending to ride on the coat tails of these action people.

Explanation: You probably are interested in interesting new vehicles and what better way to inform and mis-inform :)

Now: for a list of "I can't do it, I can't fix it, I can't, oh it's too hard (wow, not often you get to say that).

Apparently these are the alternatives:

Alternatively we could have a trial run:
So, no real plans, just some trial runs. They don't go for long :) :)

1. increase the fuel excise by 500%
There's nothing we can do about any part of climate change because I just thought that a 500% increase in fuel excise would have to happen. Ridiculous, right? Who could afford that??

2. increase export tariffs on coal by 500%
There's nothing we can do about any part of climate change because - oh hang on, this is the same as the previous example.

3. increase electricity prices by 500%
500% Great figure eh? That will scare them.

3. Ban international air travel unless departing for good
Well researched and reasonable proposition

Lucky I'm not a fatcat
So here, I invite any participants to carefully think about what someone with this train of thought would do best at. Engineer? World Bank? President of the US....

So where should we be headed. The basic premise that Rich makes is what underlies his argument. Our (along with most others, intentionally or not) entire Economy is based on polluting the planet and manually changing the atmospheric conditions to a much more variable and hot-house oriented chemical makeup.
We have to change it. Rich can't see that this is reasonably doable. Rich pretends that there is an alternative, the alternative of "What a lovely day, What are your plans?"

You know you buy tickets to some important event that you can't wait for, or you enter into your activity software an event that is coming, much later, and which you are dreading.
We have to decide which of these is more likely.

Increase fuel excise by 500%. What an argument. Coal's biggest challenge is that it is an end game. Renewables are pushing it out the door, by being cheaper. Our economic system doesn't want this because it is oh so cosy to get the income from where it has always come.
There will always be fuel excise, no matter what fuel you talk about, including solar and renewables. The only challenge for Government, and Rich represents Government arguments, is how difficult it would be to determine what excise is chargeable.

Rich doesn't get it. No increasing export tariffs on coal. No coal. But the thing is that he has a point if this were to happen overnight. And here the waters are muddied because those who refuse to follow this path will refuse to accept any reasonable time frame to move away from coal. Talk about it, talk about it, make sure it never happens.

Ban international travel. A red herring.

These jobs have to change. There are some jobs, really well paid, often not ideal working conditions. There are not as many jobs as they make out, and the future is definitely fewer and fewer jobs, because that's what technology enables. Machines are after your jobs. Machines don't care about coal.

Australia is on the cusp of being able to export hydrogen as a fuel (think excise or tax here) but only if they make the csiro technology into an industry (and replace the coal industry).
Will government do this? Are we meant to survive, or expect the 2nd coming at any time. There would be many jobs in this and we would be world leaders. Would other nations want us to be world leaders in this. Definitely (provided it doesn't affect how those other nations make profits or control the world).

But are we men or are we mice (I'll have to ask my advisor about that, if he's allowed to accompany me). Have I written enough? Probably not.

Edited to make it more readable

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 12:59

bladecar wrote:
Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 06:01
Explanation: You probably are interested in interesting new vehicles and what better way to inform and mis-inform :)
The Aptera will probably never be available in Australia so this thread is only for general information only.
As a result I have no intention of buying one.
Really its not to my taste anyway.

Still I'd like environmental protestors to buy one so they don't look like winging hypocrites.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 13:02

bladecar wrote:
Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 13:58
The birds will fall out of the trees, as they have already done in previous heatwaves.
And the bats and the Koala's...

Any ideas on how to stop this?

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Mon, 14 Oct 2019, 14:33

Put a trampoline underneath every tree? Doesn't stop it but does fix it :D

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 07:35

Richo, Richo, oh Richo. What's to say....

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 13:09

https://www.greenleft.org.au/content/26 ... d-railways

There is plenty they could have spent $61,000 on, solar, an eV, insulation..., making some impact on the environment.
Or they could have got the Aptera which has two in one 8-)

Instead the big coal corp gets the money with no net benefit to the environment.
These so called environmental protestors are handing the basket to the big coal corps so we can go to hell in it sooner.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 19:59

Richo wrote:
Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 13:09
Instead the big coal corp gets the money with no net benefit to the environment.
Err, Queensland Rail gets the compensation money in this case, not exactly a "big coal corp" (though one could perhaps argue how different they really are).
These so called environmental protestors are handing the basket to the big coal corps so we can go to hell in it sooner.
I don't know. It's certainly hard to ignore them. Certainly the conservatives and the coal corporations paint them as extremists and dismiss them as irrelevant, but hell these are kids and nannas. Maybe, just maybe, it gets a little uncomfortable for the conservatives and coal corporations.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 07:19

Hi Richo,
So it really is the AC Handi Sports that brought you here.
Is it your everyday drive or is it a car you have owned.
Did you move on to a big-brand ev later like I did?

Have you driven the AC Handi Sports all these years?
Has it been hard to maintain.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 07:39

When Bob Brown won his case but had to pay costs, the BOYS IN CHARGE were punishing him for just this type of issue. It's so easy to pick on the little people and it would be trivial to pick on them if it weren't so critical to take the issues seriously, as seen by close to 80% of the population. A reference to a serial pest borrows from the situation of a serial critical situation. It is how the climate is changing and what are we going to do about it.

The critical issues include what the Government is planning to do to give everybody jobs in place of the jobs which do as much damage as all the damage done by all the volcanoes in the world (and the volcanoes are not on holiday). It's all about jobs. The new jobs that are equally as important as the current jobs, many jobs in renewables that don't pay as well instead a few jobs that pay as much as a politicians job occasionally. The jobs have to be developing to take the load as coal is progressively, but rapidly removed from the economy. The film "Brassed Off" shows what happens when a country withdraws from coal mining (Britain and Thatcher) so the resistance to doing the right thing is easily understandable.

We must sell the csiro hydrogen product with determination, and be a real Government, and not a pussy Government, as many, mostly liberal Governments, tend to be. We left the protection of Great Britain after world war 2 and hid behind the US from then on. We still need strong friends, but they need to be able to respect this country or they will use us as strongly as the other friends would. If we set up this alternative clean energy source, we are in the position that china and other countries are with electric vehicles.

If we get enough ev s with batteries that can contribute back to the grid, and be paid for the energy deficits, we could go to full-on renewables, with a minimum of dirty power sitting by for true emergencies. This generation of politicians have the opportunity to be our "JFK" (certain politicians would have to hide their extra-curricular activities to be truly great).

Mars is fun (sort of), Earth is for real, but degrading before our eyes and media.

The people took care of the nastiness accorded Bob Brown back then and paid the $660 000 (was it). The people recognise bad behaviour when they see it, and it is not always the serial pest that they see. It is a very bad look to push the people to do these things.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 07:49

You'll note that this is all perfectly on topic because, regardless of the title of the topic, the ar-send of the message was about the current environmental catastrophe that is occurring so slowly but not slowly enough, that we do not need to change our usual lifestyles at all.

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 12:36

bladecar wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 07:39
We must sell the csiro hydrogen product with determination, and be a real Government, and not a pussy Government, as many, mostly liberal Governments, tend to be.
Ah so the CSIRO "were" working on ammonia as the primary export.
Its only since the eV manufacturers got their pocket books out and started pushing hydrogen that the Ammonia system went quiet.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=64755#p64755
bladecar wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 07:39
If we get enough ev's with batteries that can contribute back to the grid, and be paid for the energy deficits, we could go to full-on renewables, with a minimum of dirty power sitting by for true emergencies.
V2G is a gimmick sold by the ev manufacturers its in no way a long term energy strategy.

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 17:41

So, how's the Handi Sports going.

https://blog.csiro.au/hyper-for-hydroge ... free-fuel/

Richo, do you sit around corners with Teslas waiting to pounce on unsuspecting pedestrians with your silent car.

It seems to me that you are the usual shock jock. You are pushing a line regardless. As an electric vehicle builder, you don't seem to understand certain things.

A hydrogen car is an electric car. The C.S.I.R.O. ammonia things is a way of storing hydrogen for use and export without needing to store and transport the actual hydrogen gas.

The hydrogen would be used in electric cars. Richo, when I think of you, I think of a comment that Darryl Kerrigan made towards the other side during the trial at the High Court.

What's your car, Richo? People there would know. If you're not an ev owner, you're not a modern individual interested in modern problems and you don't believe in taking any action towards mitigating climate change to the extent that it must be done, then you might be...

You and your stupid byline.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 12:48

bladecar wrote:
Wed, 16 Oct 2019, 17:41
So, how's the Handi Sports going.
Well since you ask its nearly done!
Everything I custom built here in WA - motor and all :o

I guess if I imported an off the shelf motor controller and motor it'd be finished a long time ago - but I'd probably be out of business. ;)

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 12:56

coulomb wrote:
Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 19:59
It's certainly hard to ignore them.
Sure - especially when they are glued to the middle of the road. :lol:

bladecar

Post by bladecar » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 15:23

Richo,
How long have you had that misrepresentation above your name.

Richo, you are found out.