Enphase microinverters

non-EV Solar, Wind and other renewable power sources
non-EV batteries and other energy storage stuff
Forum rules
Important!
This forum is for discussion of Non-EV matters.
doggy
Groupie

Enphase microinverters

Post by doggy » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 14:55

Hi,
Has anyone installed Enphase microinverters in the recent past (say 2yrs)? Any comments on performance, price, reliability?
Thanks,
Dave

jamesg
Noobie

Re: Enphase microinverters

Post by jamesg » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 17:15

Fantastic. However have a long hard think about what kind of tinkering you may want to do with it now and in the future. If you have shading issues then that may trump the following considerations:

If you have any ideas about off-grid don't go this route. There are 1000s of options in the DC coupled world with batteries and configurations that you will shut yourself out of.

If you're IT/computer minded and like doing stuff with scripting and data or home automation then enphase is pretty cool. You can poll it for a .json file with your consumption and production data and do all the kinds of magic limited only by your imagination. :)

Also, just because they say per panel monitoring doesn't mean you will personally see your data per panel, without paying an unlock fee on the "myenlighten" portal. It will however still alert you if a panel goes down.

-James

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 21:00

Hi James,

Many thanks for that, particularly the heads-up on not being able to see the individual units. That would bug me. Yes, I am an IT guy (retired) so would definitely be doing some fiddling.

My house is surrounded by trees. However, I have monitored the insolation for the past three years and it is worthwhile if I use microinverters. DC Optimisers probably would not cut it because of the way the shade comes and goes. I have also been running three DC systems on the same roof with individual MPPTs which have been cost effective for three years.

No, I won't be going off-grid, nor is it likely I'll be adding batteries in this location. Whereas it has just recently become sort-of economical to add any solar (providing I use microinverters) batteries would not be cost-effective.

When I move house I can decide between leaving this system or moving it to the next place which might have fewer trees (but they are really nice.....).

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Dave

jamesg
Noobie

Post by jamesg » Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 21:33

check out the thread here. Might tip the balance for you! ;)

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com ... -scraping/

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Wed, 22 Aug 2018, 11:03

Hi James,
Thank you! VERY useful.
System is going in next week (using IQ7+ inverters).
Cheers,
Dave

jamesg
Noobie

Post by jamesg » Sun, 26 Aug 2018, 08:17

And another *VERY* useful update here!!!

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com ... r-toolkit/

Enjoy!
-James

doggy
Groupie

Post by doggy » Sun, 26 Aug 2018, 10:17

Hi James,
Yes, I had picked up on that and even installed the Android App in advance of the system going in this week.
Many thanks,
Dave