1 Year on, $6 gas + Electricity

Volt Interest Group
marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 01:25

Not a bad result :

Volt 1 year, $6 Gas, Plus Electricity Cost

For those that can live within the Electric EV Range , of an EREV, costs can be very little.

Then when they need a longer trip, but cannot find a charger, thats ok too.

Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 07:26

Good going! Image but if they purchased a Leaf or iMiEV they would burn no gas and have a cheaper electricity bill. Image

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 12:26

Also an anxious feeling about visiting Aunty Maud who lives just beyond the range limit Image

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 16:59

poprock1 wrote: Also an anxious feeling about visiting Aunty Maud who lives just beyond the range limit Image

That would be more important if the volt had the same EV range as a pure EV, as it stands the range is only half !

I note that volt owners wish for more EV range, understandable.

So to solve the 12 month fuel must be used to change it problem, folk are only putting 1.2US gal in the tank. That would take he volt what, 60km? Hey that would give a total vehicle range almost as good as a leaf

Just having my usual dig at hybrids.   Image   The volt is great, until batteries are better.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 18:27

hmm lets see .. .

1.2 gals will give the Volt around 100 km. not 60 .. based on my mileage.

lets see also .. what range is comfortable for the Imiev.. 100kms?

I just got 75 km ev on the Volt last few days, so are you getting 150 kms comfortable range out of the Imiev? IF so, then the Volt would get half the range..

but if you are comfy with 100km range in the Imiev, then the Volt at 75 km would be closer to say 75% of the BEV in that case. .of course a Tesla is a whole different ball game and Price!

At least with the Volt you dont have to worry about range.. you can keep going..You can use all your ev range... in a BEV, you will have to factor in the thoughts about your range limitations, and that will result in maybe using less than you might physically be able to. Say about 80- 90 kms in an Imiev, a little more in a Leaf.

You may want to keep a little in reserve .. " just in case" ..so not sure about say an Imiev getting twice the km of ev range based on actuals..

We all agree BEV's are the best..for the future.. but given the current situation of limited availability to charge anywhere you want, at this point in time , leaves some to enjoy as much EV as they can, without range anxiety, and without having to resort to a second Gas vehicle to go on longer trips.. just use your Volt Image

ps.. lots of owners in the U.S. have a BEV, as well as an EREV. SO for a two car couple that both work, the one that can stay within BEV range will take the BEV, and if the other does longer commutes than the Imiev or leaf, they like a Volt, (Unless they can afford a Tesla Image)

Some also have to visit family (mine are 500kms away) so Imiev and Leaf wont work for me yet, till better charging infrastructure, plus more km ev Bev's are available + affordable.

Happy Hols to you AC and everyone on the forum! Image
Last edited by marty11 on Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 19:51

Image yes,yes. We agree on all that of course. No worries.

The main thing being that we agree that EREVs are a temporary aboration on the road to pure EVs and they serve the purpose for some at this stage. Still a nice vehicle.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 06 Apr 2014, 05:17

75km was that on a flat freeway at 100kph?

If the 75km was pottering around in the city taking it easy then yes the I miev could double that range.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 05 Apr 2014, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.