Volt $2.50 to fill? But it costs more to run

Volt Interest Group
g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sat, 03 Aug 2013, 06:45

Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 02 Aug 2013, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sat, 03 Aug 2013, 16:21

Well, they say it "costs more to run" than a medium sized SUV. But it's really the purchase cost that takes more than 5 years to make back at today's petrol prices.

Plus, this is a car with a petrol engine, with all the maintenance that goes with that. You may not use the engine much, so it may not wear out as fast, but it will still need oil changes about as frequently as any other car, it seems to me.

I suppose many people will change their cars after five years or even less. For them, yes, this car won't save them money at today's fuel prices. But petrol relative to electricity (especially solar electricity) may not stay as cheap. And people buy cars based on many factors other than the initial purchase price.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

Al-Bunzel
Noobie

Post by Al-Bunzel » Fri, 27 Dec 2013, 22:27

It appears the purchase price of the vehicle has been included in the calculations.
If that is the case, then the article has merit.
In her article, it also says that if you can pick one up for $50k and you drive 60km a day then you might save money.

At the end of the day, the high price tag of the Volt in Australia is unjustified when the same car in USA is significantly cheaper (even before all the tax rebates).

Besides, with Holden and Ford closing their manufacturing plants in the near future, I see the potential for a lot of retrenched workers getting involved in the modified car scene which includes Electric Car Conversions, especially when the price of the Volt is unjustifiably high.

BigMouse

Post by BigMouse » Fri, 27 Dec 2013, 23:35

Al-Bunzel wrote:At the end of the day, the high price tag of the Volt in Australia is unjustified when the same car in USA is significantly cheaper (even before all the tax rebates).
The price of the Volt in Australia is one of the few for imported cars that I can see as justifiable. The pre-incentive price in the US is $40k. The exchange rate and shipping alone bring that to AU$50k. Compliance costs amortized over a small volume would make up the rest. At the time I asked a rep at the Sydney Motor Show last year, I was told GM only had plans to bring 500 Volts to Australia.

Edit: It's also likely that the Australian version is not the base trim model available in the US.
Last edited by BigMouse on Fri, 27 Dec 2013, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sat, 28 Dec 2013, 00:27

The australian Version has all the options -- fully optioned - -leather seats, safety 1 and 2, and can be bought for $54000 on the road. .most U.S. prices exclude on road costs, some also exlude taxes.

Here is a link from someone who drove a Volt 10000 miles for $300 .

cheap to run 10000 miles on Volt Only Cost was $300

Some people pay Less per km because they have solar electricity already.

Some pay more, you get the idea. .but its still pretty cheap.
Last edited by marty11 on Fri, 27 Dec 2013, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw

Al-Bunzel
Noobie

Post by Al-Bunzel » Sun, 29 Dec 2013, 03:55

BigMouse wrote:
Al-Bunzel wrote:At the end of the day, the high price tag of the Volt in Australia is unjustified when the same car in USA is significantly cheaper (even before all the tax rebates).
The price of the Volt in Australia is one of the few for imported cars that I can see as justifiable. The pre-incentive price in the US is $40k. The exchange rate and shipping alone bring that to AU$50k. Compliance costs amortized over a small volume would make up the rest. At the time I asked a rep at the Sydney Motor Show last year, I was told GM only had plans to bring 500 Volts to Australia.

Edit: It's also likely that the Australian version is not the base trim model available in the US.

marty11 wrote: The australian Version has all the options -- fully optioned - -leather seats, safety 1 and 2, and can be bought for $54000 on the road. .most U.S. prices exclude on road costs, some also exlude taxes.

I can see your perspective on why the price of the Volt in Australia is justified and what has been said by BigMouse and marty11 makes sense.

It would be nice if GM brought in the base model and a lot more of them, instead of limiting them to 500.

If the base model was brought in and in higher volumes, what do you think is a fair price?

marty11
Groupie

Post by marty11 » Sun, 29 Dec 2013, 13:26

yes definitely would have gone for a cheaper model Volt .

Leather Seats and Safety Package 1 and 2 I could easily have lived without. I just wanted the technology at that time.

I would have gone the cheapest model available, for the Volt for sure.

One thing I liked though ws the 0.5 % lease finance I got as a fluke when I bought it. I had negotiated a price down to $54000, then saw an ad on the TV for 0.5%.

The dealer didnt tell me about it, and the deal only went for about a week, but it was a good deal.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw