Does the Volt respond to a varying EVSE signal?

Volt Interest Group
BigMouse

Post by BigMouse » Tue, 02 Jul 2013, 19:45

I'm working on a project at Uni that involves building an EVSE which can vary its pilot duty cycle during a charge session. I've contacted EMW and asked about their J1772 compatible charger and was told that it only decodes the pilot signal at the start of a charge and wouldn't respond if that signal were changed during the charge. Does anyone here know if the Volt's on-board charger would react to a changing pilot signal once the charge has begun? Also, does anyone know if the Volt will vary its current draw continuously, or does it set itself to specific values such as 2kw, 4kw, 6kw, etc depending on the capability of the EVSE it is connected to. For example, if the EVSE was outputting 14% duty cycle on the pilot, would the Volt pull 8.4A, or would it pull the nearest "standard value" of 6A?

I know somebody who has a Volt locally and I would like to approach them about letting our team use his car in our demonstration, but I don't want to waste his time if the car won't be suitable.

Cheers.

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Thu, 04 Jul 2013, 03:25

best way would be to build it and find out.

I'm sure you could create a proof of concept using a function generator
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

BigMouse

Post by BigMouse » Thu, 04 Jul 2013, 05:16

We'll be building the EVSEs either way, as I know I can build a charger that responds how it needs to. I was just curious if anyone knew if the Volt would respond that way.