PHEV Loss of Km Range with Battery.

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
brendon_m

Re: PHEV Loss of Km Range with Battery.

Post by brendon_m »

Is the BMU VIN coded? Or could you buy a late model BMU and "upgrade" in a plug and play fashion? Having to have the module coded would make it harder but even still it might be an option once warranties run out to get a boost in (or at least restore) electric range.
I'd guess either way mitsubishi would have to do a reset /recalibration of the pack but it would be interesting to try

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Interesting difference between the dedicated EV company (Tesla) where seemingly everything can be upgraded over the airwaves and the dinosaur vehicle tech company where "no, you have to buy the new model to fix that problem" :-(
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Dec 2019
Total Petrol: 692.1L
ODO: 57409
Av Consumption: 1.21 L/100km

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Hi Brendon,
brendon_m wrote:
Sun, 02 Feb 2020, 21:31
Is the BMU VIN coded? Or could you buy a late model BMU and "upgrade" in a plug and play fashion? Having to have the module coded would make it harder but even still it might be an option once warranties run out to get a boost in (or at least restore) electric range.
I'd guess either way mitsubishi would have to do a reset /recalibration of the pack but it would be interesting to try
I don't know the answer to that, but I do know they cost around $5K as the dealer we had the vehicle with after that particular event resisted getting the part in for weeks. I said to them in the beginning that I believed the problem seemed to be in the BMU (after discussing with him the fault codes they were seeing) and their reply was that the only way they could check that would be to get in a new BMU and try swapping them over. But if they were wrong, they'd have to wear the cost of the part. Eventually they relented, got the part in and bingo the problem went.

The interesting sequel to that story is that a year later after our battery problem, we suspect that the original issues were likely also due to moisture inside the battery compartment messing with the cell-top modules. But that's speculation now!
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Dec 2019
Total Petrol: 692.1L
ODO: 57409
Av Consumption: 1.21 L/100km