iMiev Safari Sydney to Brisbane

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 13:10

roddilkes wrote:Here is the itinerary we followed.

Hats off to you, that's so impressive! Thanks for posting.

A couple of questions, how did you do the Ballina 125km leg? Also, did you have to forego airconditioning to get to any destinations as it would have been pretty hot on occasions?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com

roddilkes
Groupie

Post by roddilkes » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 13:45

Good question, I missed a stop. We stopped at Maclean River Caravan Park for a top up and went for a coffee and a walk. Maclean is a picturesque little town with a proud Scottish heritage. Worth the stop.

On the longer legs we arrived most times with not less than 2 bars remaining. For the uninitiated the iMiev has 16 bars on the fuel gauge.

The aircon we discovered reduces the range about 10%, so on the longer legs most times we opened the windows until we got near the destination.

Updated Itinerary.

Last edited by roddilkes on Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 14:18

roddilkes wrote: Good question, I missed a stop. We stopped at Maclean River Caravan Park for a top up and went for a coffee and a walk.

Ah, I thought the good Dr might have lent you his e-jerry can for that leg!

My wife had a chuckle at the BP charge. Did you have to pay for the charge at any of the stops?

If anyone else is going past Ballina in an EV, be sure to stop at the Macadamia Castle as they have a free Chargepoint and are very pro EV so I'm sure would let you use a powerpoint as well.
Last edited by zzcoopej on Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 15:36

[quote="roddilkes"] Good question, I missed a stop. We stopped at Maclean River Caravan Park for a top up and went for a coffee and a walk. Maclean is a picturesque little town with a proud Scottish heritage. Worth the stop.

Hi Rod,

Great adventure (isn't it:-).

I just caught this thread this morning and can't imagine how I missed all the posts in the past. I look forward to reading the ozleaf and AEVA forums daily.

It looks like you read my Beaudesert-NSW-Beaudesert story as I see you found the Maclean, Johns River and Coolongolook charging spots. Did Tony, at Johns River, or Sam, at BP Coolongolook say whether any other EVers had called? No doubt you found just about every request for a charge was enthusiastically agreed, as I did.

I am currently in WA (Collie) for another month or so. My LEAF is providing such a pleasure for my daughter's family in Urunga, I fear for getting it back when I return East:-).

I would like to catch up, if there is a chance, to talk about long trips as I will have a week(ish) in Perth before I fly back. I am planning, scheming, strategising, theorising,(well dreaming), a three month trek around Oz in the LEAF. Thinking about it is just as much fun as doing it and thinkin' is free:-).

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 15:37

cool that BP came to the party.
I believe that the fast charger was offered to BP in Nannup, but they didn't have 3 phase power.

Once in the past I had charged at the Willeton BP near the Burrendah Tavern.
There are at least a handful of BP franchises that are solar powered during the day in Perth.
viewtopic.php?title=bp-service-stations ... 555#p59419
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 15:51

jeffthewalker wrote:I am planning, scheming, strategising, theorising,(well dreaming), a three month trek around Oz in the LEAF.

What are you thinking to achieve this? Maybe hook up a "little" trailer with a folding array of about a 15-20 solar panels should give you 2400W most of the day. Travel at night would help, however more kangaroos to hit and less scenery to admire, fortunately scenery is sparse over the top end (QLD-NT-WA).
I don't see how it could be done without BYO solar, as the distances are just too far over the top end, even if you can find enough friendly cattle stations.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 16:05

zzcoopej wrote: What are you thinking to achieve this? Maybe hook up a "little" trailer with a folding array of about a 15-20 solar panels should give you 2400W most of the day. Travel at night would help, however more kangaroos to hit and less scenery to admire, fortunately scenery is sparse over the top end (QLD-NT-WA).
I don't see how it could be done without BYO solar, as the distances are just too far over the top end, even if you can find enough friendly cattle stations.

Both across the top and crossing the Nullarbor present the most challenges. Although I have been dreaming this trip since I did the Beaudesert-Grenfell-Beaudesert adventure, it is no where near final.

I live off-grid and I am very familiar with solar and batteries and, unfortunately at times, generators:-). My current thoughts for a solution to recharging between available 240V sources is a GenTrax GT6300 "portable", low noise generator. It is about 30kg and would fit in the boot. I have not yet tried one for charging (although I have used others). In fact, I haven't seen one other than info from the 'net.

I travel light, happy to "camp" and love the overall adventure feel of the trip.

Just dreaming, but would love to do it, maybe this coming winter. I have the time and the cost is minimal. I was keeping this to myself for now, but I will eventually start a thread on ozleaf for discussion.

reecho

Post by reecho » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 16:54

Be very careful about using cheaper generators to charge EV's such as the Gentrax. Work on 50% duty cycle and you should be OK. Inverter types not necessary and also if you are using EVSE you need to link earth to neutral otherwise no go...

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 17:03

WA branch meeting is on Tuesday night at UWA. If you're still on the west coast you should come along.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 17:18

reecho wrote: Be very careful about using cheaper generators to charge EV's such as the Gentrax. Work on 50% duty cycle and you should be OK. Inverter types not necessary and also if you are using EVSE you need to link earth to neutral otherwise no go...

Thanks for that info. I have a long way to go in selecting a generator so will be welcoming all suggestions and advice. Capability is first, then weight/volume, then price (capital and running).

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 17:22

jonescg wrote: WA branch meeting is on Tuesday night at UWA. If you're still on the west coast you should come along.

Thanks Chris,

I'd love to be there but I am working down in Collie. Maybe my time in Perth when I am finished here will coincide with an AEVA meeting.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 20:09

How I would tackle long distance Imiev travel. Assuming you have time on your side. Would be a combination of EJerrycan = (small lithium battery and DC/AC inverter) With the addition of light weight thin flexible solar panels.

To date i have most of the gear I would need to do so. I have one PIP4048 4000w DC/AC inverter that also has a built in 3000w solar charge controller. Combined with 16x 40ah calb lithium batterys giving me 50v. About 1.5kw usable battery storage as a cloud buffer to the PV.

The batterys weigh about 25kg and the inverter/charg controller are about 12kg. Both compact enough to fit behind one side of a fold down rear seat.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/H ... .64.NVPtAm
The key to making this system work is the style of PV used. Thin flexible solar panels (about 3mm thick ) That weigh about 4kg for a 200w panel. 15 panels - 3000w would only weigh about 60kg.

Edit: Actually they are only 3kg pr 200w panel so just 45kg - 3000w

the stack would only be a few inches high and fit behind the front seats in the hatch are.

For about the weight of exta adult about 90kg Edit: 75kg see above.

all up (no trailer needed)All comfortable fit in the back of the Imiev.

You would have a portable EV charging station that could charge the Imiev at 2400w in nice weather or charge at a reduced rate with a adjustable EVSE 1800W - 1200w in less than ideal weather. You would have a EV that could drive around Australia and wouldn't look like a crazy hampered weighed down experiment.

As I already have all the other gear other than the flexible PV. I might take on this adventure some day.

The great thing is unless you wanted to make a real statement by refusing to ever charge from the wall.(Around Australia 100% on Solar) You could combine the independent PV charging with opportunity grid charging along your way.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 20:40

offgridQLD wrote: How I would tackle long distance Imiev travel. Assuming you have time on your side. Would be a combination of EJerrycan = (small lithium battery and DC/AC inverter) With the addition of light weight thin flexible solar panels.
The batterys weigh about 25kg and the inverter/charg controller are about 12kg. Both compact enough to fit behind one side of a fold down rear seat.
You would have a portable EV charging station that could charge the Imiev at 2400w in nice weather or charge at a reduced rate with a adjustable EVSE 1800W - 1200w in less than ideal weather. You would have a EV that could drive around Australia and wouldn't look like a crazy hampered weighed down experiment.
Kurt

I like it! I can see myself, with lots of time, for an 8 to 12 hour day with the solar array spread out in the local park (in town) or beside the camp. Ah yeah, and a couple of hours driving:-). That's the way I like to travel. Maybe we can form a convoy? Any other takers?

With a bit of signwriting, we could promote solar power and EVs and even our favourite charity. Lots of time for talks and presentations (in stopovers with a population:-).

Maybe a generator for a first exploratory trip (total weight penalty 40kg compared to over 100kg). Also the cost for 3000w flexible is around $6000 (AliExpress Flexible solar panel).

Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge » Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 23:59

F

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 00:00

offgridQLD wrote: The key to making this system work is the style of PV used. Thin flexible solar panels (about 3mm thick ) That weigh about 4kg for a 200w panel. 15 panels 3kg pr 200w panel so just 45kg - 3000w

That's actually a great idea, I'm sure the cost would not be much more than flat as you'd have trailer cost, drag etc and less protected dragged behind on a gravel road. My dad has unisolar flex on his yacht so I'm familiar with that format.

I'd be in on a convoy (one day), sadly it will be 6+ years before the "nest is empty" for that kind of voyage for us. I have done a 6mth trip round oz in 2004 with a 2.5+tonne off road van and its a great country to explore. Might be too dramatic a downgrade for the missus in an iMiEV & tent, and where would I put my kayak?

Our 2004 trip was 22Kkm over 171 days which was actually only 130km/day (not that we travelled every day). Diesel would have been about 15l/100k so 3300l or about $5k as it gets up around $2/l in the outback. So not much more than solar panels which are good for 100 laps, lol!

Last edited by zzcoopej on Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 00:25

As much as I like the idea of setting up 3kw of Unisolar in a town park or oval and love the attention that would get, I can't afford the $6,000 needed to buy the panels. I used a Unisolar flexible 5W panel on my "stroll" across Oz in 2007 and loved it (5W was $300+ back then). The secret to being able to do the walk without a support vehicle was to keep it simple (if it is not necessary to keep you alive, don't carry it). The LEAF trip would be luxury by comparison:-).

I drove around Australia, Gold Coast to Darwin, then Darwin back to Gold Coast via Perth, just over two years ago in an old Pajero long wheel base 4X4. It went to the scrap merchant after the trip:-(.

I reckon if I/we carried a flag for a deserving charity we could get invited into most caravan parks overnight and by far the biggest cost would be time (and I have plenty of that:-).

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 00:31

I would say you could find the flex pv for about $1 watt.
Your looking at perhaps 5k for inverter, pv charger and battery buffer if your thrifty.

1000km every ten days or so is fine if your trying to take it all in.

Kurt

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 00:41

offgridQLD wrote: I would say you could find the flex pv for about $1 watt.
Your looking at perhaps 5k for inverter, pv charger and battery buffer if your thrifty.

1000km every ten days or so is fine if your trying to take it all in.

Kurt

Even at $1 per watt (please supply a link:-) it is $3000. I have the inverter which I use on the farm.

The much better all up weight for a generator (and cost) is still my front runner (as much as I'd like to do it with solar).

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 00:54

This conversation is off topic for this thread. I use the ozleaf forum to write up my LEAF trips and it was always my intention to discuss the possibility of a round Oz trip in that forum. I have not yet started a thread (it slipped out:-) but it will be on the ozleaf forum in the next few days.

Thanks for all your input, I am and will be listening, but I can only be in one place (at a time:-).
It is hard to make predictions, especially about the future. Yogi Berra

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 00:58

If your going to take a generator you my as we'll drive a small 2nd hand diesel or petrol hatch that would use 4lt 100km or less on the freeway.

It would be better for the environment (as the car has some emissions systems unlike the generator)
My thinking is the solar has value when you get home from your trip to. Actually it has value for 20+ years.

15x200w thin, flexible and light weight panels is nothing out on the open road all you need is a embankment facing north or creative use of rope and screw in tent pegs if the area is windy. No harder than people who erect taj mahal canvas campers every day.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 06 Feb 2016, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 01:05

offgridQLD wrote: If your going to take a generator you my as we'll drive a small 2nd hand diesel or petrol hatch that would use 4lt 100km or less on the freeway.

It would be better for the environment (as the car has a some emissions systems unlike the generator)
My thinking is the solar has value when you get home from your trip to. Actually it has value for 20+ years.

15x200w panels is nothing out on the open road all you need is a embankment facing north or creative use of rope and screw in tent pegs if the area is windy. No harder than people who erect taj mahal canvas campers every day.

Kurt

I would use the generator sparingly. Even on the Nullarbor I would be at a roadhouse every second charge if not better. I am ok calling into private properties (stations) and offering time for small maintenance chores in exchange for power (and comfort:-).

I have sufficient panels "at home" so I would have to sell them to recoup some value.

I love the idea of doing it on solar. I am used to gerry rigging whatever is necessary. I "installed" a 40 meter dipole HF antenna twice a day using trees (road signs etc.) on my walk. And carried it on my back at age 66. If someone wants to finance a solar round Oz LEAF trip, my hand is up.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 01:19

I can understand that. Sounds like that would work out ok.

Kurt

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 19:34

offgridQLD wrote: I can understand that. Sounds like that would work out ok.

Kurt

But, we can have the best of both worlds by pooling our resources.

I can contribute my LEAF and my body and mind all at my expense including meals, accommodation, etc. Also, my 24V 3kW PSW inverter (tested regularly on the LEAF) and controller(s). And 2 X 135aH Gel batteries.

Lithium would be better, lighter and the Unisolar solar panels will have to come from somewhere.

The suggestion is that we (EV community Australia) raise the capital (from supportive corporations) necessary and sell panels (and Li batteries) and whatever else afterwards.

My favourite charity is NETS who have branches throughout Australia and I would like to "carry their flag" spreading awareness and encouraging donations direct to a donor's local NETS organisation. See http://www.nets.org.au for the NSW centre at Westmead Children's Hospital.

There would be lots to do "behind the scenes" before, during and after the circuit.

If there are a few who will join me in following this up, we can start a topic here on AEVA.

zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 20:05

jeffthewalker wrote:pooling our resources.

How about this then : 10 EV owners agree to do the trip, one each year from 2017- 2027. That's only $1k ea owner for the entire solar setup inc insurance etc. Much cheaper than a genny+fuel, and I think you'd have trouble carrying genny fuel in a pleasant, safe and legal manner (not sure on this, just "campsite talk" - I gather jerrycans outside front, rear & inside is not legal these days? )
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.EvPositive.com

jeffthewalker
Groupie

Post by jeffthewalker » Sun, 07 Feb 2016, 21:46

zzcoopej wrote:
jeffthewalker wrote:pooling our resources.

How about this then : 10 EV owners agree to do the trip, one each year from 2017- 2027. That's only $1k ea owner for the entire solar setup inc insurance etc. Much cheaper than a genny+fuel, and I think you'd have trouble carrying genny fuel in a pleasant, safe and legal manner (not sure on this, just "campsite talk" - I gather jerrycans outside front, rear & inside is not legal these days? )

10 years, I may not be around that long:-). I will be going, (one way or other) this winter or next at the latest.

The generator is not required very often. For instance, roadhouses on the Nullarbor (and that's not counting stations if there are any):

NRMA
Norseman to Balladonia (193km)
Balladonia to Caiguna (182km)
Caiguna to Madura (157km)
Madura to WA/SA Border Village (194km)
WA/SA Border Village to Nullarbor Roadhouse (185km)
Nullarbor Roadhouse to Nundroo (145km)
Nundroo to Ceduna (153km)

Sheesh, I can make some (most) of those hyper-miling and the rest are only a short (few hours) topup with the genny to the next.

Port Hedland to Broome is even better. There is one roadhouse (Sandfire) and 4 caravan parks. And plenty of stations (I lived in Broome for 15 years). http://121.50.208.46/broome/175.pdf

And from a caravaners forum (about all of Oz):
"The longest distance between fuel stops along a major road that I can recall is between Sandfire Creek and Broome (306 kms), so you should be right unless you are setting off into the mulga."

The longest I can find (a quick look) from Broome to Darwin is Kununurra to Timber Creek which is 226. Wait, 290 Fitzroy Crossing to Halls Creek. Wait again, Larrawa Station is halfway.

Enough. This needs a new topic/thread.