Sixth-year servicing on the iMiev

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 12 Jan 2016, 01:05

I spoke to the Mitsubishi people in Chadstone and asked about servicing. Apparently the 6th-year scheduled service is $570, considerably more than the previous ones as it's expected that you'll have worn out more stuff I assume. He mentioned something about it being a 60,000-km servicing (if I remember rightly) so I guess they expect to have to replace brake pads and/or etc.

I'm only on 14,000ish kms but I doubt I'll get a break based on that.

I also found out it's $70 to reprogram my spare key fob to work with my iMiev, which sounds kind of excessive, but they're the only game in town for it I suppose...

Just posting this as a heads-up for other 2010 iMiev owners out there!

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 12 Jan 2016, 05:03

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Tue, 12 Jan 2016, 21:12

Yeah, no one's ever claimed to be able to reprogram an iMiev key, and the part #s in that thread are for a later model than mine anyway.

In fact, the guy who sold it to me said he tried to get the dealer to do it in the past, and waited hours before giving up and taking it back from them...

So I think maybe I can get by without a second electronic key, I'll just get a metal one cut and give it to the wife. Wonder if I can sell the spare...?

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 14:15

Just keep topping up that windscreen washer fluid and putting air in the tires.

I think that price is a joke. There is nothing to service at 60,000km that would justify that cost Infact I feel there is never a time where the Imiev would demand that cost for general servicing. Particularly if your car has way less Km than that.

I have 25,000km on my I and haven't lifted a spanner to it to date or spent a cent on it.

Go down to a trusted (normal mechanic) and get him to put it on the hoist and go over the mechanical s suspension, steering, brakes drive shafts, wheel bearing (just a going over and safety check) The electronics(EV) components of the car will take care of them selves. As in there is nothing that MM will do during to them in a general service.They would only start poking around with that when you report a issue.

On that note. If anyone in Brisbane has A Imiev and wants to put it on a hoist and go over everything (as per the service book) If your willing to get to know your car a little. 99% of the service is visual inspections. I will have my hoist installed at home later in the year. You can even charge your car from Solar while your at it.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 16:48

offgridQLD wrote:Go down to a trusted (normal mechanic) and get him to put it on the hoist and go over the mechanical s suspension, steering, brakes drive shafts, wheel bearing (just a going over and safety check) The electronics(EV) components of the car will take care of them selves. As in there is nothing that MM will do during to them in a general service.They would only start poking around with that when you report a issue.

You're probably right - I just wanted to keep to a maintenance schedule, but why, it's out of warranty anyhow!

My wife got dinged for a $5k transmission replacement (CVT on a Cube) despite having the extended coverage, 'cos she was late on one of the scheduled maintenance events... so we're wary of that now.

But my car got a Roadworthy less than 6 months ago and has a fraction of the kms they expect you to have by year 6 - and I know the battery is over 90% at least - so thanks, I feel better about postponing this now!

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 31 Jan 2016, 08:26

$70 for the key reprogramming doesn't sound bad.
I have an imported delica D:5 with similar remote. Someone just managed to get a spare key done for one. $330 for the key, and another $330 for programming!

That was with shopping around, Mitsubishi dealer wanted $550 for the remote and said they couldn't program it.

I'm taking my chances with not losing my one key.

Johny

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Feb 2016, 13:59

Honda Civic was $350. $70 is a bargain.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 01:14

I purchased a second e-key at the time of buying our i from dealer in 2012.
It cost $130 programmed and works correctly. I have been caught in the past with a faulty e-key on a Disco that cost $550 to replace so wasn't going to fall for that again.

Brake wear on 2010 vs 2012 models, with regen on brake pedal, comparison may be interesting.
At 82,000km the MY2012 rear drum wear is almost nil.
Manufacturing cross hatch is still evident on drum. Pad still hasn't made full surface contact and the drum area is dust free ! So brake pad replacement will not be one of the service items.

Front disk is similar situation. The rotor is barely kept clean by the pads, that show no apparent reduction in thickness from new.

iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 08:14

2012 models don't have the "keyless" keys though do they?

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 15:23

Capped price was $260 $460 alternating annual for 5 years
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 15:29

Correct. our 2012 has the older e-key system.
The 2010 had quite a few upmarket electrical features that were dropped for the 2011/12 model.

Perhaps the more useful Image feature introduced in the 2011/12 was the addition of 'top end of brake pedal regen' operation.
That raises my interest in the effect that may be having on the brake system wear.
Either way, I expect brake pad replacement will not be a valid service excuse.

It would be reasonable to ask the dealer exactly what was on their list for the 6th year service and provide that list in this thread so we can have fun. I was told that tyre rotation was one of the items. DUH. All I could reply was 'no thanks, they already rotate, just not front to back'.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 15:49

Nice front/rear brake Pics ACmotor thanks for sharing them.

I pulled a cover off the rear about 3 months ago and other than some fine dust (joys of living ona dirt road with talcum powder fine dust I found the same situation after driving in very hilly terrain the friction brakes just don't get any significant use to wear them (potentially could be a life of the car item)

servicing the Imiev is little more than visual inspections for unforeseen wear or damage.

I would say shock absorbers should be replaced at 100,000km. That's my (rule of thumb) on my cars. They slowly degrade and its always a shock at the improvement gained when replacing them at 100k. Perhaps a chance to find some that offer a performance gain over the factory units to.

Rubber boots can tear or perish. Steering rack boots, ball joint boots, universal joint boots on the drive shafts. Given time or bad luck (stick pokes a hole or tears one) they are worth checking.

There are fluids in the Imiev rear reduction drive, keep a look out for leaks. Coolant system again leaks or rubber hoses.

Wheel bearings can wear out eventually.

Though I lot of the above can take many years to happen in a ICE car and most likely even longer in a EV due to less heat and stress on rubbers and expansion / vibration of parts to create leaks.

I wouldn't be at all shocked to go 10 - 15 years of ownership with little more servicing required other than the scheduled mantanance that's in your service book you got with the car and just visual inspections.

Kurt

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 17:53

brake fluid should be flushed and replaces every 2 years whether you use the brake peddle or not

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 20:22

I hear coolant circulating in Imiev when on charge. Does it need changing ?
Somehow the volt battery coolant got so low that battery couldn't be charged
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

Greg partridge
Groupie

Post by Greg partridge » Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 21:33

The battery coolant is good for 20 years according to the manual

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 00:41

I have been going with the brake fluid change at 2 years/30,000km..... however, I am thinking that the lack of 200degC cycling of brake parts, as in an ICE vehicle, means that the cool EV brakes are just not killing their fluid. The 30,000km number just does not translate from ICE to EV with regen.

In the same way, the coolant in an ICE should be replaced at 2 years but given it doesn't reach anywhere near 100degC in the imiev, Mitsi have suggested a longgggg service interval.

I did replace the transaxle 750ml of ATF at about 40,000km as per the handbook advice for sustained use over 100km/h. The usual smell and viscosity comparisons suggested the ATF was still in good order so the change may not have been that essential.   

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 00:43

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/some ... y-coolant/
http://insideevs.com/some-2012-2013-che ... ystem-fix/

just found this.
This could be one way that BMW, Chevy and Nissan get you to bring in your cars.
They do a microsoft
ie. buggy hardware / software.

but of course both cars are gen 1 so probably expected.
similar to alleged motor whine from 35k kms tesla and airbag fault issue as well with a tesla model s in Perth.

and GM were so proud that their volt had more lines of code than the space shuttle.
http://www.wired.com/2010/11/chevy-volt ... ware-cars/

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/v ... s-of-code/

but even with all that code, the volt is not a connected car in Australia as is the Nissan, BMW, Tesla, Outlander PHEV, Audi etron

on the other hand perhaps electronic fuel injection, when it works, is better than carburettors?

my 2011 imiev has been the most reliable vehicle so far; apart from Cell 17.
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 02 Feb 2016, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 01:39

Yep 20 years for the coolant. Though worth inspecting hoses and checking level's now and then on it.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 05:00

acmotor wrote: I am thinking that the lack of 200degC cycling of brake parts, as in an ICE vehicle, means that the cool EV brakes are just not killing their fluid. The 30,000km number just does not translate from ICE to EV with regen

that is more of a reason you need to change brake fluid

the hotter you keep brake fluid the longer it will last as brake fluid is hygroscopic and the hotter you keep it the less water it will get contaminated with

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 15:54

Interesting theory. Just thinking on the topic....

Only the fluid in the slave cylinder would get hot. Slave cylinder is ‘sealed’. Heating that fluid above 100degC would force water back up brake line to master cylinder and reservoir. Water is still in system. Clearly best to keep moist air off fluid. Thermal cycling and brake bucket movement would cause water entry around 'seal' in slave cylinder. Air is kept off fluid in reservoir by a bellows cap.

I would have thought that not using brakes on a modern, sealed braking system would be the best option to reduce the water ingress. But you may be right. Just change the fluid.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 16:46

Well I guess either way I'm good for a while. The Roadworthy inspection it got before I bought it last September (from a non-Mitsubishi garage) showed no problems, and I'm only up to about 16,000 kms (on track to put as much distance on it in my first year as it got the previous 5...)

Aside from a missing cover to the J1772 port there's not a hint of any problem with the car. I don't suppose there's any simple way to reset the service reminder indicatior, but that's not a big issue really.

I'm sure our regular mechanic will know how to check all the stuff mentioned here - or he can look up a manual for the specifics, as he's pretty plugged-in and already interested in electric vehicles.

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 03 Feb 2016, 20:34

The service reminder is easily reset, just had to hold down a button. I can't remember which button for how long at the moment, but it is probably somewhere on this forum.

bmscott
Groupie

Post by bmscott » Fri, 05 Feb 2016, 00:12

Ah, right - I read the manual but must've forgotten this. I'll go have another look, thanks!

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Fri, 05 Feb 2016, 00:40

From the my imiev forum

To reset your service icon, put your ignition to the FIRST click (not RUN). Your gauges won't be illuminated. Press the button and just the odometer will illuminate. Press the button to get to one of the two service indicator screens (mileage/months). Press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds and it will say "CLEAr". Press and hold the button for 2-3 seconds again to reset the service indicators.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2113