Misc iMiev questions

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 21:05

I've had an iMiev for almost 3 months now, and while I am extremely pleased with pretty much everything about it, I have questions... I've been trying to find time to make it out to the local Mitsubishi dealer to ask, but the only people who know about it aren't there on weekends. So I'll ask the experts here!
  • Is it possible to run the A/C while charging the car, so it can start off cool on a hot day?
  • Does the SDcard slot under the DVD slot behind the touchscreen do anything?
  • How hard is it to remove the sticker along the top of the rear window that just repeats the name of the car?
  • There's a compartment cover on the right side of the cargo area - opening it I see a bracket and nothing else. What's supposed to go there?
  • I saw no mention of a seat belt tensioner feature in the manual yet my seat belt occasionally pulls momentarily tighter at random moments - nothing serious, but certainly odd, what's up?
  • Is it normal for the radiator to be exposed to the elements/rocks from the road/etc? It's already looking a bit the worse for wear... yet Mitsubishi website photos show the same exposed grille under the license plate
Any advice or suggestions appreciated!

Greg partridge
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by Greg partridge » Fri, 04 Dec 2015, 22:57

Is it possible to run the A/C while charging the car, so it can start off cool on a hot day?[/
No, only on some of a the overseas models. They have a additional key fob for this purpose

LI]Does the SDcard slot under the DVD slot behind the touchscreen do anything?
I'm Told it's for updating the GPS maps but haven't tried myself.

/LI]How hard is it to remove the sticker along the top of the rear window that just repeats the name of the car?
I had this removed when my car was derailed without any difficulty

There's a compartment cover on the right side of the cargo area - opening it I see a bracket and nothing else.
Some Australian I MiEV's have a jack and wheel removing equipment here, however others don't. I'm told that those that didn't have a compressor and a can of green stuff under the rear seat.

Is it normal for the radiator to be exposed to the elements/rocks from the road/etc? It's already looking a bit the worse for wear... yet Mitsubishi website photos show the same exposed grille under the license plate
This is normal for the 2010 model Imiev. 2012 models have a different bumper as do some OS models.
Any advice or suggestions appreciated![/QUOTE]

mikedufty

Misc iMiev questions

Post by mikedufty » Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 00:19

I also took peeled the sticker off mine without difficulty.
There is a petrol version of the i available overseas, I suspected some models come with a jack that goes in that compartment. I keep a charging cord adapter in there.

I also get the random changes in seat belt tension, but only when there is someone in the back seat - It is really easy for the back seat passenger to put their foot on the driver's seatbelt where it bolts to the floor - resulting in the annoying tensions. Was there anyone in the back when it happened to you?

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Wed, 09 Dec 2015, 16:38

Thanks Greg for your prompt, detailed and informative reply!

Mike, interesting point about the seat belt - I'm almost sure it happens at "random" times but I'm going to pay attention going forward to see whether it's only when one of the kids is riding along...

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Sun, 24 Jan 2016, 23:47

Not sure if there's a better thread so I'm popping this into "mine"...

Anyone have issues with the Ampfibian during warm summer days?

I've started to find my 15A-10A converter popping its circuit breaker repeatedly when the weather is warm. I see that it has a max operating temperature of 40c and we've had days exceeding that, but even later in the evening when the temp is down to 30 or less, it can keep happening.

I assume this is because of the current flow warming up the insides. It seems to happen anywhere from 10-30 minutes after I reset the breaker. If it's below about 25c when I start charging, it continues normally.

It's been living on a shaded front porch since I bought it last September. And given the iMiev only draws about 7 amps anyway, I didn't think we were pushing it very hard.   I can live with no charging on super-hot days but if it's 30c and I still have to keep an eye on it, that's kinda sucky!

(hopefully we'll get a quote from an electrician soon about installing a proper 15A outlet though)

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Sun, 24 Jan 2016, 23:50

Also can't find a thread for this - but who all is using an ODBlink LX or MX with CanIon?

I'm trying to figure out why I'm still having annoying problems with having to re-pair the Bluetooth connection virtually every day. I've now tried it with 5 different Android devices (phones and tablets) across 4 different manufacturers, and gotten the same results. Looking at the ODBlink manufacturer forums, I'm not alone.

I asked them if upgrading to the MX version will make a diff, but they say it uses the same chipset. They suggest trying it on another car, but I'm wondering if it IS working smoothly for anyone before I dig into more troubleshooting -

g4qber

Misc iMiev questions

Post by g4qber » Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 01:10

One of the reasons I went with the andy Honecker batman dongle
http://ahdesign.us/blog/stn1170-bluetoo ... i-adapter/

Some suggestions.
Don't have Bluetooth audio connected
Just have canion running.
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 24 Jan 2016, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

g4qber

Misc iMiev questions

Post by g4qber » Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 02:11

do you have a 2010 Imiev ?
If so then it draws 13 amps
Hence ampfibian popping.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 16:39

do you have a 2010 Imiev ?
If so then it draws 13 amps
Hence ampfibian popping.
[/quote]

Interesting - so then why does CanIon say it's drawing 6.9-7 amps? The circuit breaker doesn't start causing trouble until days when the temps get into the upper 30s; it's been rock-solid all winter.

I may have to get a current meter, unless we can manage to get an electrician to return a call...
g4qber wrote:Some suggestions.
Don't have Bluetooth audio connected
Just have canion running.
Thanks for that - I'll give it a try. But as the problem isn't getting a stable connection but reconnecting, I'm not sure if that'll make a diff.

Thanks more for the link to the alternative adapter - THAT sounds like something to pursue!
EDIT: oh right, they're out of stock, I dimly recall checking into them early on...
Last edited by bmscott on Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

g4qber

Misc iMiev questions

Post by g4qber » Mon, 25 Jan 2016, 20:19

6-7 amps is what is going into batts.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

reecho

Misc iMiev questions

Post by reecho » Thu, 28 Jan 2016, 05:26

I'm having repair issue with Canion as well with my Galaxy Note 4.

Havent looked into it but i would think it's the other profiles interfering....

And yes 13 amps at 240V AC is around 6-7 amps at 360V DC after losses...
Last edited by reecho on Wed, 27 Jan 2016, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Thu, 28 Jan 2016, 13:22

reecho wrote: I'm having repair issue with Canion as well with my Galaxy Note 4.

Havent looked into it but i would think it's the other profiles interfering....
Well I'll try using a separate device in the car to follow the ODBlink - I definitely use Bluetooth audio in the car for my podcasts (electric cars are great for listening to stuff!)

Failing that, I notice that CANion has a setting to use a WiFi dongle, and I'm talking to the ODBlink makers about paying the cost difference for an upgrade.
reecho wrote: And yes 13 amps at 240V AC is around 6-7 amps at 360V DC after losses...

Ahhhh, THAT makes sense now - I forgot about the the step-up!

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Tue, 09 Feb 2016, 00:46

As an update, I've been in touch with the makers of my ODBlink LX and they have identified some issues with the firmware of their chipset when used on Android, especially particular versions of Android (and some recent firmware updates for their Bluetooth chips).

Long story short, they offered to send me a MX model to test, but I asked if I could instead pay the difference for the WiFi model since CANion seems to be compatible.

They responded that they don't recommend using ODBlink WiFi with Android, and sent me a full refund via Paypal!

Does anyone out there successfully use a different brand of dongle with CANion? Should I just try ordering the WiFi one anyway (I'd like the increased range, if it works)

g4qber

Misc iMiev questions

Post by g4qber » Tue, 09 Feb 2016, 01:19

Repeating self
I use

Would be interesting to see if wifi model works reliably

So does that mean you have the lx dongle ?
Gabzimiev seems to use it successfully.
Perhaps try a recommended tablet
I use Huawei mate 7 phablet

I had a nexus 7 gen 1 tablet n The mx. Sold to bga. Hopefully still working ok.

http://postimg.org/image/szmcjc7pv/

http://postimg.org/image/5ar58aivr/
Last edited by g4qber on Mon, 08 Feb 2016, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

reecho

Misc iMiev questions

Post by reecho » Tue, 09 Feb 2016, 15:33

bmscott wrote: As an update, I've been in touch with the makers of my ODBlink LX and they have identified some issues with the firmware of their chipset when used on Android, especially particular versions of Android (and some recent firmware updates for their Bluetooth chips).

Long story short, they offered to send me a MX model to test, but I asked if I could instead pay the difference for the WiFi model since CANion seems to be compatible.

They responded that they don't recommend using ODBlink WiFi with Android, and sent me a full refund via Paypal!

Does anyone out there successfully use a different brand of dongle with CANion? Should I just try ordering the WiFi one anyway (I'd like the increased range, if it works)

Will dig out my trusty Nexus 7 2103 and give Canion a try again...

bmscott
Groupie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bmscott » Wed, 10 Feb 2016, 01:22

g4qber wrote: Repeating self
I use

Yep, I saw you post about that before, but the guy says he has no plans to make or sell any more, so it doesn't really count as a way forward...

The CANion developer recommended a Nexus 7 first-gen, which is one of the ones I tried (big Nexus 7 fan, I had both of them)! Same Bluetooth pairing issues.

The ODBlink support guy says there are issues with multiple versions of Android and their Bluetooth dongles, and they don't recommend the WiFi version either.

Is it just the speed/performance of the ODBlink adapter that makes it best for the iMiev - I understand the eBay cheapies are no good, but is there another quality brand I might try? (preferably one sold in this hemisphere...)

g4qber

Misc iMiev questions

Post by g4qber » Wed, 10 Feb 2016, 14:11

confirmed with Andy that he doesn't make his OBD2 dongle anymore
have let Martin and Xavier (Canion developers) know.

perhaps some people on here may be able to help you.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1762

from my experience it is the speed of the Android phablet/tablet/phone that counts.
also turning off bluetooth audio on the device that is running canion.

forgot that I also have used the SONY Xperia Ultra Z phablet successfully with canion.
but the odd screen ratio squashed the text on the cockpit page.
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 10 Feb 2016, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

bga

Misc iMiev questions

Post by bga » Sat, 13 Feb 2016, 19:14

bmscott wrote: Also can't find a thread for this - but who all is using an ODBlink LX or MX with CanIon?

I'm trying to figure out why I'm still having annoying problems with having to re-pair the Bluetooth connection virtually every day. I've now tried it with 5 different Android devices (phones and tablets) across 4 different manufacturers, and gotten the same results. Looking at the ODBlink manufacturer forums, I'm not alone.

I asked them if upgrading to the MX version will make a diff, but they say it uses the same chipset. They suggest trying it on another car, but I'm wondering if it IS working smoothly for anyone before I dig into more troubleshooting -
Yes, this is really annoying.
I have had occasional errors where pairing was needed again, but for the most part, the Canion proram loses its connection and requires a manual intervention to get it to re-connect.

It seems that the Canion doesn't automatically retry the link when disconnected. I would expect the link retry interval to be less than 5 seconds.

Cheers
It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.

acmotor

Misc iMiev questions

Post by acmotor » Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 17:29

Just my observation...

I have regular dropouts using android via S4 or asus tablet with the OBDlink MX / Canion in imiev.... As others have experienced.

Using the same OBDlink MX with 'OBDlink' android app off play store in Mitsi 380 or Great Wall ute works without a fault.
So either OBDlink MX or Canion are not happy with imiev.

Last edited by acmotor on Sun, 14 Feb 2016, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

BJOR
Noobie

Misc iMiev questions

Post by BJOR » Thu, 18 Feb 2016, 00:03

Where can I get an equivalent unit?

g4qber wrote: confirmed with Andy that he doesn't make his OBD2 dongle anymore
have let Martin and Xavier (Canion developers) know.