Cost of Servicing iMiEV 2012

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
mikedufty

Post by mikedufty » Wed, 04 Jan 2017, 17:57

g4qber wrote:
2011 imiev Original capped price services were
$260, $460. Alternating every 12 months

The service manual for australian 2011 i-MiEVs actually specifies 6 monthly servicing.

A bit ridiculous, especially when the electronic indicator on the dashboard only tells you to do it every 12 months.

Paceway said when we bought ours that there standard service price on the i-MiEV was less than the capped price services, but they have since changed hands and the new owners do not seem so keen on EVs. It is no longer an official EV service centre.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Wed, 04 Jan 2017, 18:41

Paceway $639
50$ discount
Pollen filter change
Aircon service free.
Gonna check with ev shop

Thanks mike for info.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 04 Jan 2017, 19:48

Aircon service... what are they doing to it?

Sounds like they are inventing reasons to bring the car back and hand over money for nothing.

Have you had the annual headlight alignment, Rego plate re torque probably worth checking the floor mats for signs of pilling.

The Imiev's Aircon. Other than spraying Glen 20 or some watered down vinegar solution into the intake to prevent/kill mold I cant think of any servicing requirements on the air conditioning. Its not like it has any belts, clutches or pulleys to wear out

Would you get your house split system or refrigerator serviced every 12 months (other than vacuum/wash the intake filter)Because it's the same kind of unit in the Imiev.

For the most part you can treat the car more like an appliance than a old fashioned ICE car with all it's critical servicing requirements.

As mentioned for the trouble of dropping it off to somebody to do very simple jobs in the same or less time you could have replaced the pollen filter your self.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Thu, 05 Jan 2017, 01:25

Cancelled appt
When does ac need regassing?
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 217

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Thu, 05 Jan 2017, 04:27

When it stops working.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 05 Jan 2017, 04:36

The gas would only need to be replaced if it leaks out. Same as a refrigerator or home Airconditioner this shouldn't need doing and can hold tight for decades.

Though the week link in a automotive AC units on a ice car is the rubber flex lines from the compressor to the engine bay hard lines. They are more or less unavoidable due to the twisting vibrating engine.

I can't remember last time I looked at the Imiev AC system but it could be possible that it has no need for any rubber flex lines as the electric compressor unit is mounted to the chassis and could use hard lines all round (though will confirm that)

As long as the AC is performing well no need to replace gas.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 04 Jan 2017, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

RedwoodEV
Noobie

Post by RedwoodEV » Thu, 05 Jan 2017, 12:54

offgridQLD wrote: The gas would only need to be replaced if it leaks out. Same as a refrigerator or home Airconditioner this shouldn't need doing and can hold tight for decades.

Though the week link in a automotive AC units on a ice car is the rubber flex lines from the compressor to the engine bay hard lines. They are more or less unavoidable due to the twisting vibrating engine.

I can't remember last time I looked at the Imiev AC system but it could be possible that it has no need for any rubber flex lines as the electric compressor unit is mounted to the chassis and could use hard lines all round (though will confirm that)

As long as the AC is performing well no need to replace gas.

An off-topic comment: the weak links in traditional automotive A/C systems are the hoses and the face seal.

Barrier hoses were introduced with R134a, a quarter century ago. They leak much less (1% or less) than traditional rubber-only hoses. While the diffusion isn't negligible as it is with steel or copper lines, it is rarely an issue.

The face seal is the rotating shaft seal, required because the input power comes from an external belt drive. It's typically two disks with a carbon-carbon, carbon-steel or carbon-ceramic interface. The initial pressure provided by a spring which is supplemented by the internal gas pressure. Each disk is sealed with an o-ring, one against the shaft and the other against the case. Even with wide disks, there is some migration of refrigerant past this seal.

Getting rid of the external drive allows eliminating the shaft seal. It also might allow getting rid of all flexible lines, although sometimes it's easier to design or assemble with them.

EVSE, motor controller and automotive network design

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 05 Jan 2017, 16:37

Just had another close look at our Imiev and yes it has two flex lines (all be it very short flex lines)

Though the compressor and drive unit is a all in one sealed unit. So over all I think we are in a better position to avoid re gassing than most.

HHL
Noobie

Post by HHL » Mon, 09 Jan 2017, 21:59

Similar story with Outlander PHEV.
Was quoted $880.00 for the 24mth/30,000km service.
According to service schedule in the handbook, it is basically an oil/filter change, replace brake fluid and pollen filter. Rest is just look, tap, kick shake.

I guess the EV qualified service centres are trying to re-coup some of the investment they made, as the cars haven't exactly flown out the door....

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Tue, 10 Jan 2017, 04:26

Our local Mitsubishi Dealer (Rockingham Mitsubishi) has been chasing me relatively aggressively (several emails and SMSs, more than I ever got from them when I expressed interest in test-driving the PHEV in 2014) to have a 6 month "safety check".

Couldn't be bothered even asking how much that might cost, just said "go away".
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Sep 2019
Total Petrol: 662.2L
ODO: 51803
Av Consumption: 1.25 L/100km