iMiEV best path through the "firewall"

Mitsubishi EV Interest Group
zzcoopej
Groupie

Post by zzcoopej »

I have put an indoor/outdoor thermometer in our 2010 iMiEV, however I can't see any easy way to get the wired outdoor sensor outside. Usually there is a rubber plug or something in the firewall to easily slip through. Has anyone found or read about a suitable place as I've looked from both sides and can't see any obvious spot?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.EvPositive.com

reecho

Post by reecho »

The 6mm power cable I have ran through a grommet near the brake booster IIRC...

acmotor

Post by acmotor »

The iMiEV ECU measures inside and outside temperature. The data will be in the CAN bus data stream via ODB. Maybe we can talk the canion guys into presenting the readings on there software.
That solves the hole in the firewall problem Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

reecho

Post by reecho »

Talking about Canion...

Would love a more permanent solution using say...CANDue or similar...with a small OLED display close to the original cluster. Using the PID's determined by the CANion guys.... Maybe a small toggle switch to scroll...

Who in AEVA has the knowledge to attempt that????...... Image

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

reecho wrote: Talking about Canion...

Would love a more permanent solution using say...CANDue or similar...with a small OLED display close to the original cluster. Using the PID's determined by the CANion guys.... Maybe a small toggle switch to scroll...

Didn't you replace your stock double din stereo with a android based unit? I thought that looked very integrated - factory looking. Vs a separate screen.

What's the advantage, am I missing something?

Edit: i do remember you mentioning the quality of the android unit you used wasn't the best but I feel perhaps a better quality unit( if there are any out there) would cover all needs in the one unit.

I had good luck with a double din windows based eBay job in my 4wd though it wasn't the cheapest one to pick from.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 01 Aug 2015, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

reecho

Post by reecho »

offgridQLD wrote:
reecho wrote: Talking about Canion...

Didn't you replace your stock double din stereo with a android based unit? I thought that looked very integrated - factory looking. Vs a separate screen.

What's the advantage, am I missing something?

Kurt

Yes I did....but in the end I took it out. The radio reception and bluetooth quality were not good. All the rest was OK. Canion did tend to disconnect a lot too. I have a later version of the factory Eclipse nav unit now. Quite good. AV playback isn't anywhere near as universal as the Pumpkin units.

A more permanently connected solution I would prefer for the can bus data.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD »

Ok,
    Yes having something always logging regardless would be nice. I guess you can make Canion auto start with a additional app. Though I don't know how you go using the other features of the stereo at the same time.

I'm finding the novelty of live data has worn off. I like to know the SOC as a % as its a bit more detailed than 16 bars. whr/km. Just to know if I'm above or below my log term average of (100whr-km) I guess over all average cell temp in summer.

I only use the live data when I'm pushing the limits (long trip) and need to use it to make sure im on track and can make it. 90% of my trips are only 50km or so what i call short trips I just want to get in and drive and the data isn't of much use.

If I didn't do my extended range trip 2 times a week. I would really only use canion to check cell balance every now and then (once a week is enough). All the other data isn't much use day to day.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sat, 01 Aug 2015, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.