Leaf owner Stole Power got Arrested Jailed

Leaf Interest Group
acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 06 Dec 2013, 23:25

Gabz wrote: ....

having the ability to apologize properly gets you out of a lot of trouble

Sooooooo true. Some apologies aren't worth the hot air used in them. Properly is the key. So true Gabz.
iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

chris
Groupie

Post by chris » Thu, 12 Dec 2013, 16:39

The punishment is this case was far too excessive in relation to the crime.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 12 Dec 2013, 20:56

Ah there are sooo many things wrong with this.

1. Someone called 911 for a power cord that is plugged in.
Where is the emergency? was someones life in danger?

2. Why would an officer think that looking through a car would help identify the purpose? (school or not) Was he expecting the nerd books in the glove box to give it away?
There is a computer in his car with a database that tells him all he needs to know.

3. The officer had no way of knowing how much power had been used or how long it had been there or it's cost.
So in short the officer had no proof. Can he definitively say that something was stolen?

4. So the officer had no proof so he goes to the school to harass the staff.
He then takes circumstantial evidence from people for something that "may" have happened in the past.

5. So with no proof and a lot of heresy he has him arrested - by another division no less.

Makes me wonder who has a gripe with who?
The person who made the 911 call in the first place.
Or perhaps the school's resource officer.

The person who made the 911 call should have been arrested to for using the emergency service when there was no emergency.

So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

bga

Post by bga » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 01:13

It may be a bit if a reach for many town councils, but perhaps an Honour system would be practical. The EV'er sends them some money each time a power point is used for a charge. The council will get some information as to how many EVs are around and whether it would be worthwhile formalising a charging system, coin-op?. Maybe this can be paid by a b-pay to the council using a particular 'ratepayer' code that makes it easy to collate.

This may be a way for councils to be seen to be promoting sustainability and EV use. This may be the sort of thing that AEVA can assist the councils with.

I would suggest something like 50c per kwh to make it neutral to the council, even if compliance is not 100%.
It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 03:49

i carnt see why it would be hard to make a charging station with one of those wave credit card here things(they have a built in cell phone built in for talking to the bank) in it and you need to wipe a card to get the charge plug out of the base to plug it in to the car and you simply have it setup so you can set X,cents per/Kw

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 04:14

Adverse effects I'm not sure you've ever looked a the cost of running a credit card machine.. the fees from the bank would eat all your profit which is why chargepoint make you purchase credit in $25 blocks \ same reason blink give you monthly billing. you need high turn over to justify $2 in electricity cost.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 17 Dec 2013, 20:36

Councils already have the coin-op systems - just not for EV's.

poprock
Groupie

Post by poprock » Fri, 20 Dec 2013, 14:27

Read an article on the EVDL where the VP of ChargePoint in US received a warning from his phone app that his own EV had been unplugged whilst charging. The article listed other difficulties for EV owners, including hybrids occupying these spaces and not charging. This is an untapped motherlode for greedy Local Government. Imagine a free carpark with ten dedicated EV only spots.Writers cramp for the ranger! Image

Gabz

Post by Gabz » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 21:11

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Mon, 07 Apr 2014, 01:07

No jailing at joondalup public library.
Their power points are locked up.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 07 Apr 2014, 20:28

Yeah they saw you coming Image

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Mon, 07 Apr 2014, 20:47

Last edited by g4qber on Mon, 07 Apr 2014, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 07 Apr 2014, 21:03

ahhh what has that got to do with the OP's post?

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 08 Apr 2014, 20:39

Hey you sound just like me Image
At least this one has some words other than the link Image

No opinions just regurgitation.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 00:50

my point is that if you don't want people using your power, lock it up.
eg. Mandurah Good Guys.
http://www.recargo.com/sites/9483

on the positive side, have more RV 15 amp power points around the place.
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 08 Apr 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 01:05

"my point is that if you don't want people using your power, lock it up."

I don't think you should have to go to that length or expense. locked or not it's theft. Just because it's there on the outside of your house or business doesn't make it a free for all.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 03:10

i have 4 power points accessible from outside my house 2 x 10 amp 1 x 15 amp and 1 x 32 amp you can plug in to any of them you like i dont mind

you want get anything as there switches are all on the inside of the house on the back of the main power board

it will be the same for ALL the schools and the like why have they not got them turned off on the inside?

look at the world we live in would you put a $50 on the side walk and expect it to be there 24 hours later? NO hell i would be surprised if it was there 10 min later

not to mention you could not say "someone stole my $50" it stopped being yours the sec you put it down in the public domain
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Tue, 08 Apr 2014, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 03:26

Why incoviniance yourself (having to go to a central switch board every time you want to use your own outlet) just so no one uses what they shouldn't be using in the first place.

Particualy in a commercial building where a worker ( cleaner, gardener) might not have cabinet keys or permission to poking around in the switchboard but needs a working outlet.

If some one was using my external power points to charge a car. One I would get a email from security cam then I would get a 2nd email from my power room indicating a high load event. (Setup after some one came onto my property and turned a outside tap on and wasted thousands lt of water. It had a 500w pressure pump running for days.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 08 Apr 2014, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 14:39

here is a volt owner "stealing" leccy.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/row- ... 1qox7.html

I love the comments.

and builders too
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2168177
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 14:52

i am guessing the point was in the car park so

the cleaner would need it (when was the last time you saw a cleaner do more work than there job entailed?)

the gardener wouldn't be using it as his job is the gardens and a car park isnt a garden not to mention its been a long time since i saw a commercial gardener use electric unit out side (other battery)

as i said b4 if its lining around accessible to anyone SOMEONE WILL take it
as to your comment
"Why incoviniance yourself (having to go to a central switch board every time you want to use your own outlet"
there getting payed to be there and "use that power point" so walking inside to turn on the master switch is no biggy

on your reasoning may as well leave the tractor out on the field because its a pain and a wast of time walking all the way over to the shed to get it out to use it or leave out the fire hose laying across the courtyard because its a pain and a wast of time to put it away and then next time i need it going over to get it out

yes i know i am going to an extreme but the police have as well 4c of power it cost more than that for them just starting there luxury over powered ICE car to drive down and cause this trouble the person that called the police wasted more than that just calling them and so on and on and on

it comes down to 3 things

if the guy hadn't plugged in this wouldn't have happens
if the noise person that was such a pussy as to not go say something to him instead called daddy (police)
if the police had half a brain and just called the schools person (head master or who ever) or if its a counsel school call the counsel
if the school had not been so lazy in putting there toys away (also known as securing the premiss) and makeing all the external power points turned off internally

what if a kid walked up to it and stuck a wire / paperclip / hair pin / any thing conductive in to it? then they would have been up for murder due to negligence   

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 15:05

g4qber wrote: here is a volt owner "stealing" leccy.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/row- ... 1qox7.html

I love the comments.

and builders too
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2168177
the first one he lives there and is paying body corp fees and so on but if he is going to use it every day then he should have talked to the body corp about it and there would be no problem as he could have arranged something first

the 2nd one that is theft and trespassing but he could have simply put a A4 sing above the point saying if your reading this your trespassing and if your plugged in to my power your stealing and that would most likly have fixed this problem for the cost of a sheet of paper

for that matter nether of those story's have anything to do with a publicly accessible power point in a publicly accessible public area

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 15:14

They were just examples of what the power point was there for. I'm sure it wasn't installed for that guy to charge his car for free. If its not your power point and you don't have permission from the owner that pays the electricity bill then you shouldn't be using it. Yes the reaction to the offence was way over the top.

"on your reasoning may as well leave the tractor out on the field because its a pain and a wast of time walking all the way over to the shed to get it out to use it "

Yes I do just that as it is a pain and takes up room in the shed.I would need to find the remote for the shed door. Back it out, fill the shed with diesel fumes. Shut the roller door drive to where I want to mow.

It's been in the weather for most of it's 30 years it's a tractor not a RR silver shadow Image

As for the kids poking a paperclip in the socket you cant protect everyone from everything. It's like the pool fencing rules in AU that are way over the top. What next pool fence along the side of the brisbane river, or every river in Australia. Every dam or perhaps a pool fence all around the circumference of Australia incase you walk into the sea. You just can't protect everyone from everything.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 15:28

offgridQLD wrote: "on your reasoning may as well leave the tractor out on the field because its a pain and a wast of time walking all the way over to the shed to get it out to use it "

Yes I do just that as it is a pain and takes up room in the shed.I would need to find the remote for the shed door. Back it out, fill the shed with diesel fumes. Shut the roller door drive to where I want to mow.

It's been in the weather for most of it's 30 years it's a tractor not a RR silver shadow Image

but your yard is not a publicly accessible public area its your yard

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 15:31

Yes thats my point why would I disable my power outlets that others shouldn't be using.

Kurt

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 15:41

what has any of your comments got to do with the op's post? public amenities

if a public amenities isnt usable to the public then its not a public amenities its a private one

if its a private amenity then why is the GOV / counsel paying to run the school? and if its not a private amenity then it has to be a public amenity

i dont agree with theft but come on this is just stupid this full situation