Leaf owner Stole Power got Arrested Jailed

Leaf Interest Group
Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 15:44

if someone had to have a drink of water and they duck in to the school and have a drink from the bubbler the kids use them should they be charged with theft?

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 18:23

"what has any of your comments got to do with the op's post? public amenities"

Well it was in response to your comment bellow that also had nothing to do with public amenities. So I commented that I wouldn't go to that length at home as its inconvenient.

"I have 4 power points accessible from outside my house 2 x 10 amp 1 x 15 amp and 1 x 32 amp you can plug in to any of them you like i don't mind. you won't get anything as there switches are all on the inside of the house on the back of the main power board"

Yes if they wanted to they could kick up a stink about using the water from the bibbler it's theft no matter how petty. The cost of water or every 1000lt VS 25-50 cents KWH potentially A EV charging from a 10A outlet could be consuming up to $1 hr. Tap water at Roughly 7C - 1000lt if you drink 1 lt of water costing 0.007c.

Again the OP example is extreme in it's action. Though the topic brings up discussion that you have to draw the line somewhere. The guy who charges his car from a outlet that he shouldn't be. lets just say he/she charges a couple of times and he consumes $5.00 of electricity a week. It would take much regular opportunity charging to clock that up $5 worth pr week sucking 2400w pr hr.

$5.00 a week is $260 PA some one has to find that $260. Now lets say two or three people with ev's talk amongst each other and share the knowledge of the free outlet . We now have $780 that someone has to cough up PA. Now my example might be worst case scenario but even at 1/2 the rate it's not petty.

If three people where to walk into the school and take something worth $780 from the school like a projector or lawn mower once a year would they call the cops?

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 18:51

ok well you better go down the end of my road and tell the school that on most weekends forget to turn off the flood lights in the sports field i hate to think what they burn an hour some how there finding enough $ to wast on them oww and on the bottom of each post there is a 3 phase point that is live when ever the lights are turned on and there covered on god knows how many years of old spiderwebs so i would guess not been used but there live

i also know of 2 parks that have twin 10 amp power points in each hut thing for the use of the public would it be stealing plugging a car in to them?
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 20:02

How they waste their energy is there joice as they pay the bill. I can drive my car around the block all day in cycles it's my choice how I waste it as I payed for it. Yet if some one siphons 1lt of fuel out of my tank It's theft.

If you have permission to use the powerpoint (as in the 10A public power points in a park you speak of) If you actually do have permission or are 100% sure they are for anyones use and not just the assumption it's ok. Then sure use it. If your told not to charge your car via it them at any stage at least had permission to be plugging something into it in the first place.

A little bit of common sense and not bending the rules to much to get something for nothing is usually what works out to be a happy ending.

On another off grid forum I post on. People have actually asked if they could tap into the tiny amount of power coming down your telstra line and use some kind of DC/DC converter to trickle charge a battery for free power.The fact it would be almost pointless isn't the key point. The fact they even thought abut it in the first place. Talk about sneaky and skungy.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 20:51

Kaveh Kamooneh, who was at Chamblee Middle School watching his 11-year-old son playing tennis on a Saturday morning, and who took advantage of an open, external 120V outlet for his Nissan LEAF.
ok lets try this

was where he was classified as public amenities
YES

was he there legally
YES

was he there for a valid reason
YES

where others there using any other form of consumables?
I BET THEY WHERE

so why target him
Last edited by Adverse Effects on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 21:18

I agree the particular case it was to harsh and most likely he was a target for other reasons than just charging his ev. Perhaps his attitude to someone or a personal biff going on.

I'm sure he could get off any charges regarding the use of the power outlet if he technically fits the criteria to be using it legally.

In general my view is I don't use public outlets or even dedicated public ev point unless you need to to make the distance. So the guy at the school (assuming he would live near the school or at least within the return range of e leaf (60+ km one way) there wouldn't be any real need to be using the outlet in the first place.

There are 100's of outlets across brisbane, at my daughters school, car parks, shopping centres, parks the list is endless. But its not like the lead acid days where we need to be topping up our packs up every 20 - 30km.Even the most modest EV's now have genuine 100km range. So scabbing opportunity charges within that range is pointless.

In general energy is a valuable commodity consuming lots of publicly funded energy to charge electric cars considering some OEM cars have 80 kwh battery packs will become A issue we see more examples of in the future. Particular as the numbers of EV's grow and the potential impact good or bad it could have on the public facility. Some places might welcome ev charging and use it as a draw card at their expense others who can't afford to or see no gain in doing so will make it very clear that people are not allowed to use it for EV charging. At the moment they don't have the EV numbers in Australia to warrant the discrimination. It's like putting up a sign saying no launching satellites on the oval Image

At the moment most of us are flying under the radar in our EV's

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 09 Apr 2014, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.