Elation Bikes - anyone used their kit?

From go-karts and bicycles to electric eskies and kids scooters.
SamD
Noobie

Post by SamD » Fri, 09 Sep 2011, 21:37

I am curious as to why you're so eager to stick to the 200W limit?
Silence is golden. Duct tape is black.

(*steve*)
Noobie

Post by (*steve*) » Fri, 09 Sep 2011, 21:51

Speaking for myself, I've stuck to it simply because it's enough.

I rarely need to exceed 40km/h on the flat, and it drags me up hills perfectly well in an appropriate gear.

De-Lation
Noobie

Post by De-Lation » Sat, 10 Sep 2011, 17:42

For me, its to avoid a fine, or worse still, if anything goes wrong it can cost you demerits on your license, affect insurance and legal issues if I ran somebody over etc etc. If the law on the other hand can be updated, that would be fab! Peeps, write to your local MP!
Other thing is that bigger motor+bigger battery which is fine too. Range drops off quite a bit on a bigger motor simply because you tend to use the extra grunt that is available.
Again, not a bad thing if you compensate with more juice. Image

De-Lation
Noobie

Post by De-Lation » Sat, 10 Sep 2011, 23:35

Here are some pictures of my ebike.....and descriptions of some of the problems and how they were solved

The bike

View of shifter, lever was cut short (center of frame) to stop it crashing into the trottle controller and allow brake levers to have correct reach.

Throttle control. the aluminium band and knobby thing underneath is a sort of add on to use it as a thumb controller of sorts, useful for me as the controller is about 95% of full twist to cruise at 25-30kph. I've set it to reach my thumb comortably at that setting.

Drivetrain view showing the custom chain guard.

Looking over the sprocket housing and attached chaing guard. The housing has been shaped by bending the top of the gear shroud (note the roof shape instead of it being flat). This was necessary to prevent the crank crashing into it and maintain the correct alignment of motor drive gear and chainwheel gear. There were no other adjustments available.

Close up of motor gear set. The guide sprocket is from a derailleur and replaces the original 'bobbin' which was horrible and noisy and did little to improve chain alignment.
The chainwheel rings are far too fragile and are adequate for light use only. Mine were ALL bent and wonky, when I disassembled the chain wheel, I found screws that had wound through from the other side which sat proud and distorted the smallest ring. The middle one I can bend with ease and I have a replacement on order. I filed back the screws that were jutting in (sorry for lack of photos or better description, I have to finish my work so I can photograph that later). And finally the large ring...just like the others...light so light and just as fragile!!! honestly, may as well make it out of polystyrene. The aluminium is very very unsuitable and bends with ease. E bike stuff MUST be solid and any weight that can be saved, secondary priority.

Original battery mount location, I added an alternative wiring run that goes to my big battery pack. The automative type connector is rated well above the calculated max current draw and hasn't missed a beat.

Battery pack 20AH LiFePO4 Li Ping battery, gives and gives and gives!!

Battery is snug within wooding formers which also act as additional structure to secure the mounting system for the rack. The battery is also retained by an aluminium strip in case of a fall and the lid unhinges. Plenty of insulator pads keeps the battery protected.

Case is attached to a frame that hanger of the rack. The bottom catches onto the V where the racks frames converge effecting a nice locking system. A thumb screw at the top ensures that the battery can't 'jump' up and off the rack.

Gregb
Noobie

Post by Gregb » Mon, 26 Sep 2011, 00:04

I have stayed away from here due to my unpleasant experience with Alan but notice he has gone out of business, purportedly due to health and family. Has anyone tried to fit the kit to a womans step through frame??
My age is catching up with me and would prefer an easier way to mount.

Gregb
Noobie

Post by Gregb » Mon, 26 Sep 2011, 00:10

PS I now have a new battery purchased from Cell-man in chins and am building a new BMS for it. At present I bulk charge it using a Celllog hooked to a smoke alarm to tell me when one cell gets to 3.6V and then balance it every so often with a single cell charger from Lifebatt in SA.

PPS When I had chain wheel trouble my bike shop said they were rubbish and got me some new ones.

aegidius
Groupie

Post by aegidius » Thu, 06 Oct 2011, 17:55

Wouldn't mind getting hold of a kit actually - anyone got any leads?
Giles.

gannet
Noobie

Post by gannet » Mon, 10 Oct 2011, 02:09

aegidius wrote: Wouldn't mind getting hold of a kit actually - anyone got any leads?

I still have mine sitting around, would be happy to clear up the space. I assume it is a mark 1.

I needed to realign the motor so I figured rather than just loosen it I'd take it off to stick some frameskins on to protect the frame. Then I just couldn't be bothered to put it back on.

(then I went recumbent, a MUCH better move anyway -thinking of a hub motor in one - but another story. Ironically, another Aussie design that has been on the New Inventors.)

The plastic chain ring protector broke when the chain fell off ( might work with bigger screws), otherwise all is well.

At $1500 new, very little use, what is it worth?
PM me if you wish.

aegidius
Groupie

Post by aegidius » Mon, 10 Oct 2011, 18:11

Way out of my price range, sorry.
Giles.

naughtee
Noobie

Post by naughtee » Mon, 10 Oct 2011, 18:22

hmmmm, my first purchase was simply to go a dodgy china front wheel hub (cost me $500 delivered) 500w very simple and easy to install... however the battery(s) was lead-acid, a year or so ago i upgraded the battery (coast another $500), hub is still going fine.

after reading about some of the performance gained from driving the peddle thingies (crank), i'd be looking at a solution along those lines as my system does not go nearly half the distance to what others here have indicated. although i am only 5ks out of town and use the motor all the time :)

this would be my preference if i had the dosh... at 3:43 this would be fun to ride around until the cops pulled you over... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPzu6gUoRM

ps the guy who runs this video helped me out with the battery upgrade, professional, friendly and solid (and local).

tasbid
Noobie

Post by tasbid » Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 20:39

Hi All.

I am mew on here. I've had a kit on my MTB for a short while. It was purchased secondhand, a couple of months old with only a handfull of km on it.

During the very small amount of use it has had since I have had it, the crank broke, battery died, the plastic battery mounting plate threaeded holes stripped, the chainring guard fell off, and now all the chainrings are worn.

Is this a common problem? I doubt very much that the wear is due to poor alignment as all four chainrings are worn. Is there a particular recommended type of aftermarket replacement chainring, particularly the motor driven one?

thanks

(*steve*)
Noobie

Post by (*steve*) » Wed, 22 Feb 2012, 21:56

I've just has a battery failure. It turned out in my case to be pretty easy to repair.

Undo the end caps of the battery,

remove the battery connector from the end cap

Slide off the metal tube

pull out the battery (and possibly carefully lever out the charger board)

In my case the repair was to a very short green wire connecting the -ve terminal of the battery to the charger board. I believe the wire had failed due to metal fatigue.

I replaced the short piece of wire with a longer one that loops down next to the battery with an insulated spade connector in it so I can isolate the battery if I ever need to pull it apart again (also for piece of mind while I was soldering the connections -- the circuit wasn't "live")

There may be other sources of battery fault, but looking at the construction, this has to be fairly typical.

I also noticed that several of the screws holding the battery end caps on were too short and I believe that this was a contributory cause to the fatigue failure of the wire.

Armando
Noobie

Post by Armando » Fri, 24 Feb 2012, 15:12

Now elation is out of business has anyone seen the new kits for sale by AFT ? they look similar to the elation V2, but with what looks to be a better mounting system and freewheels but with same motor and gearbox ? has anyone used them ? what do people think of these kits compared to the elation ?

I found them on ebay :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AFT-Motorise ... 2c634fcd6f

their email is:
aft_ebike@hotmail.com

(*steve*)
Noobie

Post by (*steve*) » Fri, 24 Feb 2012, 16:58

Simple answer Armando, I found them to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

All they want to do is sell complete kits, they are not interested in selling parts, so they're no use at all as a source of spare parts for existing elation kit owners.

It also probably follows that they're not going to be much use for purchasers of their product either.

I asked about the possibility of getting a motor, his response was: "We only sell the motors as part of the complete kits. The complete standard kit price is..."

Seems to me that long term support for kits purchased from them would be a problem. (I may be wrong, but that was the impression I got. I'd be pleased to be corrected)

Armando
Noobie

Post by Armando » Fri, 24 Feb 2012, 17:14

I am considering buying a complete kit so it doesnt realy matter to me that the motor is part of the complete kits. They seems to have some good upgrade options no one else sells? has anyone else actualy used them so i can get some real user feedback ?

In particular the heavy duty mounting bracket and ACS crossfire freewheels ? I was also looking at the cyclone kits that look like they use the same motor, but they have a very weak mounting bracket and they use crappy dicta freewheels which i have heard on the forums have had a lot of failures like the elation freewheels , i think were the same DICTA brand in elation ?

(*steve*)
Noobie

Post by (*steve*) » Fri, 24 Feb 2012, 22:41

Armando wrote:so it doesnt realy matter to me that the motor is part of the complete kits

Until something fails...

naughtee
Noobie

Post by naughtee » Sat, 25 Feb 2012, 17:07

be sure to report back if you go with this option, i know of a few that are looking for this type of solution

rivarat
Noobie

Post by rivarat » Tue, 15 May 2012, 02:14

I've got a 200w kit here with the nimh battery kit now dead the charger is 24v . The motor still runs ok and until I decide to build another bike I want to get this up and running . So can anyone please assist me with battery options and a charger?.would prefer lithium ion . Cheers. apologies old fart on phone ATM hard to articulate. thanks

Gregb
Noobie

Post by Gregb » Wed, 08 Aug 2012, 17:33

This is probably far too late but I would go LifePo4. see cellman on endless-sphere. Good value and get an iCharger 208B for charging.

Armando
Noobie

Post by Armando » Sat, 29 Sep 2012, 01:44

Hi I all i finaly got around to get a kit from AFT ebike, lucky i waited actualy as i was one of the first to get one of the new PRO kits they have just released, the pro kit has a new heavy duty laser cut mounting system and heavy duty ACS crossfire freewheel.

This is what kit i got:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-AFT-PRO- ... 2c687b12bd

I have recieved it all and so far so good, it all looks well packed and the mounting kit looks awesome, can't wait to fit it !

I will be fiting to the bike shortly and report back

Armando

Re: Steve , i asked them about spare parts and would they supply a spare motor if it failed as you said, and their response was they will provide spare parts for the any part of the kit as part of the warranty for existing customer, even after the warranty has ended. But they do not supply bare motors for no existing customer, as they say they cannot be certain of what mounting kits chain alignment and strength, that could damage the motor bearings etc if its not their complete kit, so they can't sell motor because they can't provide a warranty for it.

naughtee
Noobie

Post by naughtee » Sat, 29 Sep 2012, 04:00

looks good armando,

i'd be very interested to hear how it goes

cheers

n