Electric motor Failure

AC, DC, amps, volts and kilowatt. It's all discussed in here
peterb
Noobie

Electric motor Failure

Post by peterb »

Just some general info,

Recently had a major failure of my EV, sheared the armature shaft of my electric motor and shattered the gearbox input shaft. At first i was told it could have been the gearbox or coupling. I sourced a new armature shaft and on inspecting the shaft in detail I have come to the conclusion that there is a major issue with the design. Why is the shaft counterbored so much, reducing the crossectional area at the most critical point, not to mention putting a keyway to add to shear plane.

Has anyone else had this issue or concern, the car has done approx 5,000Klms. I am now sourcing another motor with a bit more beef in htis area.

Regards, TOO Much Torque not enough Thought

Peter NSW.

Rob M
Groupie

Electric motor Failure

Post by Rob M »

Hi Peterb,
I am interested in the reason for the failure.
Do you have any pics too share?
I think most failures of that type would be caused by incorrect alignment. Continual flexing of the motor shaft or gearbox shaft will result in eventual failure. Was there any vibration?
Rob

peterb
Noobie

Electric motor Failure

Post by peterb »

only preceeding the utimate failure, initally there was noise @ revs, the care only traveeled less than 200 mtrs after that berfore failure. I ran the motor with the gearbox in neutral to identify the noise and there was some scraping of the motor fan fins. I was moving thr gare into the garage to film the motor when it totaly failed.

Peter

Goombi

Electric motor Failure

Post by Goombi »

What type of motor and make was it? Was it home made connected? The hollow shaft part is genrally used for other shaft to be inserted and thus centralising for perfect alignment,. But the motor armature and any other shaft like gearbox one does not necessarily fit. If the shaft does not fit snug then any play will result in failure.. If the fan was rubbing on part of the motor then there had to be some foreingn matter inside the motor, is that possible? I would blame the coupling

peterb
Noobie

Electric motor Failure

Post by peterb »

i am looking at a differnet coupling style, and yes there was what looks like part of a honing stone going for a ride, I doubt i picked it up of the road.