WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by CometBoy » Thu, 10 Jul 2008, 19:59

Any views on a WarP8 vs 8" ADC motors?

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by zeva » Thu, 10 Jul 2008, 20:31

Hi CometBoy,

Well as a NetGain distributor OF COURSE I am going to tell you that the Warp is a better way to go! But let me elaborate on that a little..

Firstly the Warp 8 is actually a discontinued motor, NetGain recommend the ImPulse 9 as the best substitute. It has the same mounting pattern as the Warp 8, and also the same as the ADC 8. It's their latest motor and is a couple of decades newer than the ADC 8 in design - though honestly series DC motors really haven't changed much lately, there's not much between them in performance or efficiency.

All the NetGain motors use larger diameter copper in the windings than the ADCs, which gives lower resistance windings but also mean there are fewer coils. The result of this is that they have lower torque per amp, but higher rpm per volt. In practice this just means that the ImPulse's optimum power band is at a somewhat higher RPM, but peak power is similar. (It also explains the higher 192V maximum rating of the NetGains vs ADCs.)

Lastly, right now there are supply problems with the NetGains (I've had my order in for about 2 months now and they still haven't shipped.. not good for business) so unfortunately it might be a case of.. use whatever motor you can actually get your hands on!
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

Taffy
Groupie

WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by Taffy » Thu, 10 Jul 2008, 20:35

Supply problems are not limited to warps, we have an order in for a ADC K91 - 4003 and its no where to be seen.

Lowndsy
Groupie

WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by Lowndsy » Sat, 12 Jul 2008, 19:14

mainly a question for zeva, im looking at starting a conversion in summer, would it be reccomendable to order the motor about 3 months prior? and how is supply on other parts atm such as controllers and contactors?

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by zeva » Sat, 12 Jul 2008, 20:11

Hi Lowndsy (and others waiting for motors),

Yes, get your backorders asap in if you plan on doing a conversion anytime soon! No downpayment needed, it's just for a place in line.

As you can imagine, the delays with the motors have been *very* inconvenient for a lot of people. I'm doing my best to get stock in but they seem to be backordered about 3 months now! Half of the motors I ordered in April-May (Warp 9s and Warp 11s) are ready to ship now so I will be splitting up the shipment to get these here sooner. The second half (Impulse 9s) will probably be ready to ship by the end of July.

At present all of the above motors are accounted for (unless people change their mind). I placed another order with NetGain mid-June which they say will be ready in September, i.e arrival in October-November!

*sigh* So much for trying to keep motors in stock locally..!
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

nickpullen
Noobie

WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by nickpullen » Sat, 12 Jul 2008, 21:31

What about manufacturing Series DC motors here in Aus?

What do you expect the annual demand to be?

Cheers,
Nick

antiscab

WarP8 vs ADC?

Post by antiscab » Sun, 13 Jul 2008, 23:41

im guessing you know of a place that can manufacture motors to order Nick?
as that would be quite handy.

Matt