Zilla Voltage Rating

AC, DC, amps, volts and kilowatt. It's all discussed in here
Digger11
Groupie

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by Digger11 »

The LV version of the Zilla (which appears to be hard to come by) specifies a Voltage Range of 72V - 156V.
Is this the input or output voltage ???

To allow for voltage sag from the batteries under load, I am looking at about 192v of batteries, but only want to feed the DC motor less than this (say 144-156v).

Will a LV Zilla work ??? They are just so much cheaper than the HV model.

EV2Go

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by EV2Go »

I dont know if I would necessarily agree with the HV being too dear.

EV Components list the LV at $1875 and the HV at $2375 only $500 dearer.

Exchange rate today is .93, which works out to $540~$560 more, add $55 for extra GST if applicable, call an extra $600 Aussie.

Freight should be nearly identical if not the same. The problem is people tend to get greedy. There is no reason to unessarily jack up the price of a higher powered unit, but time after time you see it happen.

Makes you want to become a dealer simply to give people a fair go. At the end of the day if the asking price is too high just buy it overseas...

EClubman
Groupie

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by EClubman »

A Low Voltage Zilla has a max voltage of a bit over 190 volts even though it is called a 156V device.
It is built to cater for 13 x 12V lead acid batteries in series.
However, a lead acid battery isn't really a 12V supply - it can range from below 8V (drag racing) to 14.8V (Odyssey batt fresh off the charger).
The Zilla has to handle these extremes.
(13 x 14.8V = 192V)

So, don't put 192V of batteries on a LV Zilla or you will let the magic smoke out.
(Since you charge batteries to about 20% over their "label" voltage - both lithium and lead - you'd be putting something like 230V onto the Zilla)

Mark

Digger11
Groupie

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by Digger11 »

$1,200 more for the HV on EV works. I suppose shipping and GST make up soem of the difference- but you are correct that shipping should be the same.

EV2Go

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by EV2Go »

Depends if some of the components are marginally heavier it might alter freight...

but yes that is a good example of what I was talking about. If it takes the same time to organise the purchase, same amount of emails etc why should there be a difference over and above the price difference?

To my way of thinking there is a certain amount of margin necessary to make it worth any resellers while. Just because the price of the item is higher there is no reason to add additional margin beyond the price difference.

Unfortunately this seems to be an Australian mentality more than anywhere else I have seen. Most other countries realise that once you have made your margin on an item you take your money and run.

Not here though, we seem to have this thinking why make a little profit when you can make a killing...

Don't for a moment think I am singling out any one reseller, look at every Australian reseller you deal with, check the price the manufacturer is charging and if they offer a higher priced item the difference will often not be justifiable.

It is for this reason that most people HAVE to settle for the inferior item because Aussie reseller can't help but make that extra dollar or 600.

Mind you in EV Works defence check the price of the Kostov motors and they are very reasonably priced considering the RRP on the Kostov website.

I am in the process of organising a motor from them now simply because there was insufficient difference to buy it direct from the manufacturer, there was some but not enough to make it worth the hassle.

While reseller ask a reasonable margin (bearing in mind they have to make a living too) I will happily buy from local resellers but once it exceed a reasonable amount I won't hesitate to go direct.   

Squiggles

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by Squiggles »

I have had reason to communicate with Kostov in recent times. I can say that they are serious about supporting their foreign distributors, it is very likely that there arrangements make it possible for the agents to market the products at reasonable prices. Makes business sense after all, they want to sell motors without the hassle of individual customers from all over the world. So reward the distributors that bring in the business.
Last edited by Squiggles on Fri, 09 Apr 2010, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

EV2Go

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by EV2Go »

Kostov were prepared to do business including a discount, but the cost of the individual freight brought it out to nearly the same as buying it here.

With a "sensible" price difference I am happy to buy locally, and provided there is good competition amoungst the dealers to ensure prices are kept in check the system works.

Problem we have in Australia is that we have grown up in a time where Australia was this little island in the middle of nowhere and you could ask what you liked because you were the only one with the item.

Times have changed and we now have the internet making the world a whole lot smaller and the sooner some Australian businesses realise they are no longer competing against just the guy down the street and watching him put his petrol prices up and down and just matching them, the better off we will all be.

Being honest how many times have you gone to buy something from any Australian reseller and you just couldn't justify the price difference even though you know it's not the manufacturer who is asking the premium price.

I am pleased that EV Works are leading the way showing good business sense with the Kostov motors, otherwise people will go elsewhere me included.
Last edited by EV2Go on Fri, 09 Apr 2010, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

antiscab

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by antiscab »

the evworks zillas are expensive because they were bought with a weak aussie dollar, at different times.

they're actually being sold below cost (though well above current cost as has been pointed out).

I got burnt by the currency value change aswell :(

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

EV2Go

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by EV2Go »

That's a very valid point Matt, and I wasn't particualarly having a go at them. It was just a gripe in general about a long antiquated mentality that you still see every day.

Take for example... I am a bit of an audiophile.. lets say Rotel make a couple of surround sound processors.

(not a real example)
an RSP-1550 with an RRP of $1999 and a RSP-1570 with an RRP of $2999

In Australia the RSP-1550 might sell for $2999 but the RSP-1570 would sell for $5999

While the RSP-1550 has a mark up of 50% to cover, freight, taxes, profit etc, the RSP-1570 has 100% mark up.

I have a shopping budget of $4500 and would really like the better model, but becuase of greed I have to settle for the cheaper alternative with lesser quality DACs.

The units weigh roughly the same, they are just as easy to order, there is no reason that the RSP-1570 needs to be so much dearer, it just is.

Here is the bit I don't understand...

As a consumer I am not going to purchase any more units than what I need, so at this point in time I need one surround sound processor.

When that one breaks or wears out I will replace it... Now as a "smart" reseller I would want my customer to have the best experience they can have because they are going to associate the fine listening with my shop.

I still sell one unit and I still make the same X dollars profit, on that unit, why then must I rip the customer a new one because they wan't a bit more quality?

BTW I paid $2700 for the RSP-1570, $300 below RRP. I had spent about $10k on a couple of amps and a centre speaker from the same shop a few months before.

The salesman knows as long as I get good prices he will get my business, and is prepared to make lots of average profits on a number of things. Where as if I paid RRP he might sell me one.

He still makes sales and meets his sales targets, I walk away with a price I am happy with and the right item, it's a win / win situation and I have no reservations to recomend either him or the company he represents.

Edit:

Guess the point of my little rant is... the days of adding a percentage % based margin on an item needs to end as it only winds up blowing sales.

Other countries have worked out if you work out the total cost and add a set margin to cover profit, then people will buy.
Last edited by EV2Go on Sat, 10 Apr 2010, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

Digger11
Groupie

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by Digger11 »

Anti - are u from EV works ? If so, I absolutely love the Volvo 960 conversion - it looks superb, and is the benchmark for my future project.

I have costed up all of the items I need from your website (WARP 9's, Zilla, LiFePo4's etc.) and then compared it to importing from the USA. By the time I added freight,duty and GST it came to about the same. Not to mention warranty issues.

So to support an Australian business I will be ordering from you later this year.
And good point on the exchange rate.

antiscab

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by antiscab »

gday digger,

i don't work for EVWorks, but i do have my conversion sitting in their workshop.

It's been there a while (since 2008), and I'm there a few times a week, so i see the guys often (and hear all sorts of news).

I've also been buying stuff from them since the time when they had separate businesses (zeva, evpower, evwa)

actually comes in really handy if i need a part i forgot to get.
the storerooms just in the next building having the storeroom in the next building Image

so i know whats there better than at other retailers, though for fairness i do list as many retailers for a specific component as possible (at least Australian ones).

If you don't mind the wait and are ok chancing the exchange rate, then getting zilla's from EVComponents can be cheaper. They go through aust post, so theres no gold plating fee coming through port.(add US$100 for shipping and 15% for duty and gst and then convert to aust $ to compare prices)

for what its worth,
i really like the kostovs due to the interpoles and ability to run at high voltages and current (and they actually give ratings at rated voltage)

up until now you have really needed two motors to take advantage of a zilla's higher voltage rating (or a motor with interpoles, used to rare as hens teeth)

i notice netgain have finally come round and started offering higher voltage motors (their normal "192v" motors have a hard limit of 170v)

www.evmotors.com.au and www.bev.com.au are two other motor resellers, but they're both brand specific

i do like the 960 aswell, its huge but it drives well. I like the 318i better though (has more oomph).
The mustang will be even better

if going for more than 144v, i highly recommend going 288v or there abouts. its the magic voltage where all sorts of stuff works well.

ev2go - yep i agree, just a % margin isn't a good way of going about it.
its part of the reason i buy online most of the time, rather than at a brick and mortar shop.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

EV2Go

Zilla Voltage Rating

Post by EV2Go »

Ian (EV Works) is currently organising me a Kostov 11" 250v which will be running at hopefully 288v (pack voltage) in the upcoming delivery.

Can't wait to see how it goes. The 250v mmotor has the series / parallel switching, so you get all the benefits of two motors in a single motor.