High power Li-Po cell bulk purchase

IF YOU ARE NOT A FINANCIAL MEMBER OR YOU HAVE LESS THAN 30 POSTS AND YOU POST ANYTHING FOR SALE, IT WILL BE DELETED.
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
jonescg

High power Li-Po cell bulk purchase

Post by jonescg » Mon, 31 Jul 2017, 12:08

Hi All,

I've been building some batteries using high powered Li-Po cells (technically lithium cobalt oxide pouch cells) and they are performing really well. These cells dish out 30C continuous and 60C peak bursts. They have a specific energy of 158 Wh/kg and an energy density of 334 Wh/l. They are a 5 Ah cell, but can be paralleled to make as big a cell as you like. Mass is 120 g each.
20170725_151218.jpg
This cell was excluded because of a visual defect (circled)
20170725_151218.jpg (98.53 KiB) Viewed 859 times
They cost $15 each landed in Fremantle and the minimum order quantity is 550 cells. I have enough interest for about 300 cells, but I'm chasing more to make up the order.

I have all the termination kits ready to go - 2p (10 Ah) up to 10p (50 Ah). Let me know if you're interested!

Cheers,
Chris
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

rhills
Site Admin

Re: High power Li-Po cell bulk purchase

Post by rhills » Mon, 31 Jul 2017, 12:35

Hi Chris,
I could be interested, but wouldn't have the time or the expertise to put them together into a battery I could use.

So, I would be looking for something that I could use in place of a 12V Deep Cycle battery, anywhere between 100 and 300AH (at the 20 hour rate) depending on size/shape/weight, more capacity is better of course :-) It would need a BMS that would protect the cells from the basic abuses (over-voltage, over-discharge), ideally one built in to the battery so it could be "fit-and-forget". These are an example of the kind of thing I'm interested in (and I believe the company uses the infamous weber and coulomb litefyba BMS though not in this unit).

I'm not necessarily after something as purty as this, but the functionality looks good. Could you do something like this if I came in on the cell buy (for a mutually agreeable recompense of course)?

Cheers,
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Sep 2019
Total Petrol: 662.2L
ODO: 51803
Av Consumption: 1.25 L/100km

jonescg

Re: High power Li-Po cell bulk purchase

Post by jonescg » Mon, 31 Jul 2017, 13:41

Hi Rob,

For your application I can't recommend LiFePO4 more highly. The voltage of a 4-series pack is perfectly matched to conventional 12 V systems, and the safety and convenience is pretty hard to beat. In WA we have EV-Power selling GBS and CALB batteries and EV Works selling Thundersky (Winston) cells.

These Li-Po cells are perfect for EVs, and high performance ones at that. And at $850/kWh they are far from cheap.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.