Qld Moke

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
wovenrovings
Groupie

Qld Moke

Post by wovenrovings » Thu, 09 May 2019, 17:59

Hello Everyone,
So I was so taken by the idea of an electric mini moke that I have acquired one with the aim of converting it.
This is the very beginning of the journey. First step will be repairing the body and refurbishing the running gear. Like all old mokes it is a bit of a rust bucket. :roll:
I have been watching Brendon_m_mokes thread and have take some inspiration from it.

If anyone has any suggestions for an engineer to work with for getting the conversion approved, they would be much appreciated.
I'm in Bundaberg.
Attachments
moke.jpg
moke.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Dan007a
Groupie

Re: Qld Moke

Post by Dan007a » Thu, 09 May 2019, 18:03

Bills machinery has a few dc forklift drives their might be of interest

wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings » Thu, 09 May 2019, 18:15

Thanks Dan007a I will check them out.

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:31

Oooo.
Congratulations. The best part about converting a moke is they have no features, so you don't have to worry about making them all work :lol:
I was lucky when I bought my because the guy I bought it off was a boiler maker and had cut all the rust out so I've never had to deal with the copious amounts of rust mokes are notorious for.
On the other hand there is only 2 curved panels on the moke (bonnet and the centre tunnel of the floor for those playing at home) and they aren't exactly complex shapes so rust repairs are normally fairly easy.
Good luck and I'll be following your progess

wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings » Sat, 11 May 2019, 16:00

So I weighed it last night. 599.6 kg.. :)
Yes Brendon_m I noticed the lack of features. Interestingly mine has a windscreen washer bottle but no washer nozzles or pipes....
There is no sign of a demister either.

wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings » Sun, 30 Jun 2019, 09:16

Quick update. Have stripped the moke down for rust repairs. In the mean time working out the details of the motor and batteries. The part that I am mulling over at the moment is the gearbox. Whether to to with trying to mate the motor up to the moke box and be able to use standard cv shafts or go with a more compact and easier to contect to gearbox out of a modern front drive car and need special cv shafts. Anyway a while before I have to make that decision.
Attachments
P1090649 (Medium).jpeg
P1090649 (Medium).jpeg (150.05 KiB) Viewed 463 times

brendon_m
Groupie

Post by brendon_m » Sun, 30 Jun 2019, 10:37

I'd say find an aftermarket replacement to the gearbox because using it is a pain, on the other hand I never found a reasonable cost alternative.

wovenrovings
Groupie

Post by wovenrovings » Sun, 14 Jul 2019, 06:56

Well I can get a diahatsu sirion gearbox from the wreckers here. Shouldn't be too expensive.