Thalass' Brumby 4WD

Post up a thread for your EV. Progress pics, description and assorted alliteration
Thalass

Thalass' Brumby 4WD

Post by Thalass » Sat, 25 Apr 2009, 03:12

(Lets try this again with proper post layout and less rambling. Stupid brain.)

I'll actually post these as my brain permits.

TOC:
1: Intro.
2: Aim/Requirements.
3: Donor Car Details.
4: Estimated Sequence of Events.
5: Batteries.
6: Motors.
7: Controller.
8: Future Mods.

1: Intro.

Hi, I'm Thalass and I like electricity. Especially when it's useful, and what can be more useful than locomotion? haha.

I have had a series of scattered notes, both mental, digital, and occasionally DTF, regarding an electric conversion of a vehicle for a good two years now, if not longer. The project has gone through a bunch of changes as circumstances have changed, but nothing has actually happened yet due to lack of workshop space.

Now that is soon to be solved and I find myself actually having to produce some kind of a result!

So I'm going to try and lay down some coherent info here, to set it all in stone, so to speak.
Last edited by Thalass on Tue, 05 May 2009, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Thalass

Thalass' Brumby 4WD

Post by Thalass » Wed, 06 May 2009, 07:33

2: Aim/Requirements.

The aim of this project is to produce an electric vehicle that can transport myself, my 20kg or so of work stuff (toolbox + random stuff), and possibly one passenger a bare minimum of 50km. And to do it in a vehicle capable of going off road (if not, perhaps, for the battery range limitation)

My work commute is roughly 21km one way, so 42km plus detours/delays should be close to 50km. Obviously I would like more, and my (very) rough estimates with TS 40AH cells point towards a much higher range, but before I get carried away with dreams of driving to Toodyay on one charge I will need help with the number-crunchery.

The total cargo will probably not exceed 200kg, even with two people, toolboxes, and some junk in the back. This sounds like alot, though, so I'm willing to compromise as 90% of the time it's just me in the car.

The speed limit on the roads I drive isn't higher than 70km/h, so I suppose 75-80km/h is a good bare minimum speed capability to aim for. Though I would like to see 120km/h if possible.

To do all this I will replace the ICE with two moderately sized (~8kw? smaller?) induction motors - one in the rear tunnel driving the rear wheels via the diff, and one in bottom of the engine bay driving a second diff (sourced from another vehicle) and the front wheels.

There are a few reasons for this configuration. Firstly: I know it works, there's a subaru impreza that competes in autocross in the USA using this layout. Secondly: I have a history of breaking gearboxes, so I want to minimise the mechanical linkages between the motor(s) and the wheels. Thirdly: To retain (or in this case, provide) All Wheel Drive for both on road and off road performance.

So:
Minimum range: 50km
Cargo: 200kg
Minimum speed: 80km/h
Acceleration: decent, but not face-breaking.
All wheel drive.
Last edited by Thalass on Tue, 05 May 2009, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.