Electric Line Trimmer

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
TooQik
Groupie

Electric Line Trimmer

Post by TooQik » Sun, 17 Jan 2016, 20:54

My old 2 stroke line trimmer has been on the fritz for some time and I've spent a fair bit of time doing research on an electric replacement. Today I finally drove down to my local Masters and picked up the following:

EGO 56V Line Trimmer

My first pleasant surprise was at the register when the young lady decided to give me an unsolicited discount taking the price down from $399 to $360. Image

Unpacking it and putting it together was straight forward and painless and the battery charged up ready for its first use in the time it took me to assemble everything - approximately 20 minutes.

Out in the backyard it absolutely chewed through everything without batting an eyelid on a single charge of the 2.5 Ah battery pack - 3 foot high weeds, long grass it took it all in its stride. Colour me impressed.

Reading through the battery pack operator's manual a particular section caught my eye. Apparently the battery pack will automatically perform a self-maintenance function if left stored for one month and will self-discharge to 30% capacity before then entering a "sleep" mode. Interesting stuff.
Last edited by TooQik on Sun, 17 Jan 2016, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

carnut1100
Groupie

Electric Line Trimmer

Post by carnut1100 » Mon, 18 Jan 2016, 05:10

I've been researching electric garden tools for a few months....the Stihl and Husky stuff looks nice but high voltage ego gear has grunt.
Seriously thinking of getting an ego mower.
Echo do a sweet range of 58v stuff but only sell in the us right now.
Have a look at pellenc too...but close your eyes at the price!

TooQik
Groupie

Electric Line Trimmer

Post by TooQik » Mon, 18 Jan 2016, 16:46

I did have a look at the Echo, Stihl and Husky offerings before deciding to go with the EGO.

The EGO mower will be the next upgrade for me when my current mower dies. There will probably be a few new offerings by that stage.