Australia's first Electric Highway!

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
jonescg

Post by jonescg » Fri, 31 Jul 2015, 03:46

The other day, well known Leaf driver and AEVA member, Brian Mollan wrote to the local Nissan dealership letting them know about the ABC story on the Electric Highway. The dealer, Michael Hill, replied with this message:

"Hey Brian, thanks for that.

You will be pleased to know we are still selling the Leaf, in fact over this last week alone I have sold five.
I think with the electric super highway now going in it has helped.
One person bought two. He is developing an Eco Village in Margaret River and will be after twenty five in the next 18 months.
Any way It is nice to hear from.

Kind regards.

Michael Hill
New Nissan Sales Consultant
"

It's working, and it's working rather well Image We also had another recent member join and come to the last branch meeting - she said she'd been contemplating buying a Leaf, but once the Electric Highway opened up, she pulled the trigger on a purchase.

So as far as policy and incentives to encourage the shift to EVs goes, investing in fast charging infrastructure certainly seems to be working!
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

acmotor

Post by acmotor » Fri, 31 Jul 2015, 05:44

Wow ! five leafs in a week. That would have to be an Australian record for a dealership !
What a buzz for the EV movement... and credit to Chris for pushing the Electric Highway.

I wonder what price the leaf is selling for ? are they still the 2012 models ?
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

reecho

Post by reecho » Sat, 01 Aug 2015, 00:31

I just hope the added interest will spur Nissan on to import at least the Gen 2 models...

Nissan completely ballsed up their stock levels previously, and that has been widely reported in the press.

The Leafs were no different in this regard. Hopefully a more sensible approach to stock will work going forward.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sat, 01 Aug 2015, 22:38

Parking inspector recommends no cones cos it might imply that unit is broken. There has been an urgent request put into roadworks to get bays painted
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 212

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sat, 01 Aug 2015, 23:21

charger says 94.2%, canion 92.5%, which is right?
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 212

offgridQLD

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 02 Aug 2015, 02:47

"charger says 94.2%, canion 92.5%, which is right?"

Interesting, assuming the charger gets it's data from the car you would think they would say the same. Image

reecho

Post by reecho » Sun, 02 Aug 2015, 03:18

Canion's data is an interpretation of the CAN Bus data based on capturing and using factory diagnostic tools to compare data. There is no guarantee's the data is accurate, but I think it's close.

The charger is reporting SOC directly from car data via the CHAdeMo protocols.

I haven't seen any CHAdeMo cars fast charge with any absolute accuracy apart from individual cell voltages which seem to be adhered to religiously.

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Mon, 10 Aug 2015, 23:59

Has anyone tried to use the Leaf from Mandurah to Bunbury? Normal speed?

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 00:49

Yes, and it romps it home. However you need to leave Mandurah with a full charge (100%). So get the quick charge in to 80% or so, then repeat. This will probably take you up to 92% which will get you there, but it means 1 hour in Mandurah. At least until the Harvey site is installed. Which should be happening in 2 weeks time.

The Bunbury fast chargers DC side is not working at the moment. It's an unusual error and the old Ctrl+Alt+Del trick didn't seem to resolve it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next day or two - communications stuff.

The network and maintenance contracts are not sorted out yet, so there's no way of knowing if it's playing up until you get there (or phone ahead). Not sure when it will happen.

reecho

Post by reecho » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 02:47

Rusdy wrote: Has anyone tried to use the Leaf from Mandurah to Bunbury? Normal speed?

Ask the RAC..... Image

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 04:21

Go by old coast Rd and Australind 103.3kms
Watch out for potholes
Recommended by raphael
Last edited by g4qber on Mon, 10 Aug 2015, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 212

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 04:33

reecho wrote:
Rusdy wrote: Has anyone tried to use the Leaf from Mandurah to Bunbury? Normal speed?

Ask the RAC..... Image
They must have left Bunbury with a less-than-100% charge, and / or drove with the right foot. Mark Puzey managed to do the reverse trip with 14 km to spare.

reecho

Post by reecho » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 04:52

jonescg wrote:
reecho wrote:

Ask the RAC..... Image
They must have left Bunbury with a less-than-100% charge, and / or drove with the right foot. Mark Puzey managed to do the reverse trip with 14 km to spare.

Both Mark and myself did the trip in Leaf's....(or is that Leaves?)

With a fast charge and top up to 100% on level 2 i got to Mandurah with about 12km to spare. The leaf I had about 9000kms with about 89% battery heath indicated. My set speed was 85km/h. This is around 80km/h actual. The speedo is woefully inaccurate..!!

Do highway speeds in the Leaf and you are toast for that leg.

Heading down I stopped at Carnaby's Park for a topup. Weather was quite sh*te. nasty headwinds pounding the range...

I must say though Bunbury to Busso at 110 with the Leaf is such a nice drive. Very stable and comfy.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 04:57

Indeed leaf is like golf.
1521kg. 2012
1493kg. 2013
Solid.

I3 a bit like l Imiev gets blown about a bit.
Steering is also a bit twitchy.
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&start=10
Last edited by g4qber on Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 212

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 17:13

jonescg wrote: Yes, and it romps it home. However you need to leave Mandurah with a full charge (100%). So get the quick charge in to 80% or so, then repeat. This will probably take you up to 92% which will get you there, but it means 1 hour in Mandurah. At least until the Harvey site is installed. Which should be happening in 2 weeks time.
Thanks Chris! This is exactly what I need to know Image . Knowing Harvey will be online in 2 weeks, this is certainly great news. So I don't need to wait another half an hour for 80 - 100%.

With my (2nd hand) leaf, I've found out lots of freeway driving definitely kills the range. I drove 90-ish km last week with 13km on the guess-o-meter and started beeping on me. My oh my, the psychology of low battery beeping on me made me really nervous.

It started with full charged at home (Leaf Spy showed 92% SOC), and at the end of the trip showed 20% SOC (with beeping and all). Looks like leaf limits 70% usable capacity (which good idea me think to keep longevity).

jonescg wrote: The Bunbury fast chargers DC side is not working at the moment. It's an unusual error and the old Ctrl+Alt+Del trick didn't seem to resolve it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next day or two - communications stuff.

The network and maintenance contracts are not sorted out yet, so there's no way of knowing if it's playing up until you get there (or phone ahead). Not sure when it will happen.
I should admit the automatic SMS and email from e-charge is very handy. I got an SMS last week notifying me this one. Hopefully will be up and running soon!

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 17:19

reecho wrote:
With a fast charge and top up to 100% on level 2 i got to Mandurah with about 12km to spare. The leaf I had about 9000kms with about 89% battery heath indicated. My set speed was 85km/h. This is around 80km/h actual. The speedo is woefully inaccurate..!!

Do highway speeds in the Leaf and you are toast for that leg.

Heading down I stopped at Carnaby's Park for a topup. Weather was quite sh*te. nasty headwinds pounding the range...

I must say though Bunbury to Busso at 110 with the Leaf is such a nice drive. Very stable and comfy.

Thanks reecho! That's what I suspected. Nice to have someone confirmed this in real life driving (i.e. not doing 110 for the whole leg).

I should admit, the Leaf is so much better build than I previously thought. I never drove nice car before tho'. Corolla 2006 was my previous car. That was like upgrading from Atari to PlayStation (maybe 1, leave 4 to Tesla).

photomac
Groupie

Post by photomac » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 17:43

I concur the LEAF Mandurah-Bunbury-Mandurah figures.
Via Dawesville cut bridge then Lake Clifton, and through Australind.
102-104km. Left Mandurah with maximum charge. 12km left. Leaving Bunbury with possibly just shy ended with 10km left on GOM on arriving at Mandurah.
No headwind and no heater used. Need Harvey or another along the highway.
Sat at 86kph on speedometer which in reality is about 79kph ( It seems a Nissan deliberate "error" on LEAF at about 7-9% ) yielding about 0.142kWh/km
With full "tank" drive most carefully, obviously, for the first 10km so as to minimise loss of energy on breaking. Regenerative breaking kicks in well enough after that.
My LEAFspy indicates only 80% SOC achievable on a 25500km, 19month old LEAF - mmmm - servicing this week and I will see how Nissan respond.
At the end of journey I had 3.0 and 2.2 kWh left in "tank" according to the LEAFspy.
As you travel the GOM will hit about 35km with 35km to go. Disconcerting. I have noticed though the last 16km on the LEAF is a bit like old petrol cars with the last 1/4 tank not being proportional to the 1st 3/4 of a tank.
i did drive carefully the last 10km too.

And yes, travelling Bunbury to Busselton at 110kph ( 120 on speedo' ) is an absolute joy. The LEAF handles the highway beautifully.

Looking forward to the Harvey station getting up. This Urban car is pushing it's boundaries.
Oh - I am heading down again the weekend of 15th August for the "Magic Flute", an overnight accommodation, dinner and breakfast. So the RAC EV Highway has allowed me to spend over $300 in the Bunbury city! I think the city will recoup their investment, even if indirectly. I will let you know if the Motel does have a power socket as they believe they do ( certainly keen to assist ) !

ps Mandurah FC to 92% Bunbury FC to about 86%. Disconnect and reconnect can activate FC at a slower rate but quicker than the level 2 - possibly. But finish on trickle level 2 - I would recommend, and until the light turns off.
Last edited by photomac on Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Yes,   we can.   Image
Hyundai Kona 64 v1 Sept 2019 onward. 00016 up to 3850+
Mitsubishi PHEV v1 Apr 2016 to Aug 2019 14500 to 72000km
Nissan LEAF v1.0 Nov 2013 to Apr 2016 00035 to 36000km

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 18:14

The L2 charger at Bunbury is still fully operational too. As is the 15 A GPO behind.

photomac
Groupie

Post by photomac » Thu, 13 Aug 2015, 15:53

well this could transform the RAC EV Highway - give cause for toll road owners in the east to implement.

http://www.gizmag.com/uk-electric-highways-trial/38897/

In road recharge trial in UK actually being tested!!!!

[ Edited Coulomb: removed space from link so it works ]
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 13 Aug 2015, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Yes,   we can.   Image

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Sat, 15 Aug 2015, 21:23

Hi all, is there a trick in using the UWA veefil fast charger?

1. I plugged in my leaf,
2. LED red illuminates at the charger connector,
3. swipe my e-charge card station (the one supplied by south-west fast chargers),
4. and it did say charging but only showed 0kW.

Did I do something wrong?

reecho

Post by reecho » Sun, 16 Aug 2015, 05:05

Press start????

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sun, 16 Aug 2015, 15:41

may need to register your RFID card on the bosch system
note that the UWA unit is not related to RAC EH.

ring the UWA REV number or sent them an email.

at the moment, the RAC EH units will allow any RFID card to start charging.
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 16 Aug 2015, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
2011 i-MiEV - k kms 212

Rusdy
Groupie

Post by Rusdy » Mon, 17 Aug 2015, 17:33

g4qber wrote: may need to register your RFID card on the bosch system
note that the UWA unit is not related to RAC EH.

Oops Image

I should've listen to my missus. Read the instruction that is clearly labelled on the fast charger itself.

I just realised that was you g4qber. I was the crazy driver that jumped off my driver seat asked you this very same question 2 days ago. That was my third attempt.

Moral of the story: I should listen to missus?

photomac
Groupie

Post by photomac » Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 03:55

Okay - I used the EV Highway to get to an event for Sat 15th August in Bunbury.
The FC was down, expected. I booked in at the Clifton Motel after phoning to ask if they had power points. They said yes but were a little cautious. The Motel is a short 3 blocks from the RAC chargers so I was okay with recharging there if need be. But no need.
All are 10Amps and if it is wet you will need to make sure all connections are safe.
The laundry has an outlet and the window can open.

The ground floor units have service portholes. A lead can be passed through them but you will need to use a cable safety device to prevent tripping. You may need a tie to keep door closed.

The end wall near the Resturant (breakfast room) has a power outlet, the cabel can be safely run along the edge of the building to the carpark.

Not the best arrangement and I won't do it again but as I had a top floor unit I unplugged the air conditioner inside the unit and strung the cable down.

The Clifton Motel are happy to help EV drivers!!!!!
Perhaps E-Station may get business there if patronage occurs from EVers, for a level 2 charger?
Or perhaps we can beg them for a 15amp outlet.

Confirmation email from the Motel:

Dear Matthew,
Thank you for your email. I am please you enjoyed your stay at The Clifton Motel and our staff looked after you.
We would be happy for you to refer our motel to your fellow Electric car members and we would be happy to look after them.
Thank you once again and we look forward to see you next time you visit Bunbury.

Kind Regards
Pat Gunnell
The Clifton Motel & Grittleton Lodge
2 Molloy Street Bunbury
WA 6230
(p) 0897926200 (f) 0897912726
www.theclifton.com.au
Last edited by photomac on Wed, 19 Aug 2015, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Yes,   we can.   Image

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills » Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 06:01

Hi Matthew,

Would you consider adding an entry for them into Plugshare? I do that wherever I find a business sympathetic to EVs. Plugshare is the first place I look for nearby charging facilities. Currently it doesn't have a large number of entries outside of urban Perth but if each of us adds one or two...
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Sep 2019
Total Petrol: 662.2L
ODO: 51803
Av Consumption: 1.25 L/100km