Making Indy Film - Seeking to Interview

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
fuzzarelly
Noobie

Post by fuzzarelly »

hello,

I'm currently a renewable energy technology student based in Melbourne. Being very inspired by various forms and technologies, im putting together a film / doco around RE technologies in Australia...

This film will be released under a Creative Commons License meaning that this film is for non commercial use, simply for the love of it and to educate and inspire others about the way we use and view 'energy'.

Im very keen to get a short interview with someone who has successfully converted there vehicle to 100% electricity and who supports green power. Some filming under the bonnet a must!

Im will be filming with a mini DV camera.

if interested and based in or around Melbourne (or Brisbane - I will be in Brisbane only from 1st - 8th of July) please email me for more info at renewableenergy@hotmail.com

Sparky Brother
Groupie

Post by Sparky Brother »

Hi Fuzzarelly

I`m glad to here there is someone amongst us who`s got the power to make the EV movement more exposed and understood. Basically the more we yale the more will be heard Image . I would suggest you though to move your request to the "General Discussion" while many of the really active and knowledgable members are chatting predominantly there. I have no doubt there will be some of them with an EV already on the road having a real time experience from it. So move the discussion there and success is guarantee.

Taffy
Groupie

Post by Taffy »

Hey,

Dont know when you are aiming to complete this film but RMIT is launching a 2008 F-SAE fully electric race car this year. We will be running at the 2008 Formula Society of Automotive Engineers comp in late november in werribee. If your looking for something a little different and still filming around then let me know.
S3051095@student.rmit.edu.au

Thanks
Taffy

Chief Mechanical Engineer
RMIT e-Racing 2008

moemoke
Groupie

Post by moemoke »

Hey Taffy, can you fill us in on the details of the F-SAE or is it 'TOP SECRET' Image, this competition seems to be getting pretty seroius with lots of good ideas from those lucky enough to be doing the course.
Where do I sign up.

Taffy
Groupie

Post by Taffy »

Hey Moemoke,
I cant lay out all the details just yet, we are currently doing part testing so the final build is not 100% confirmed.
This is the car we are converting: http://www.fsae.rmit.edu.au/Photo%20Gal ... /auto2.JPG

I posted information in the general chat as well but a quick summary:
Carbon monoque tub with a steel tub rear sub frame
Direct chain drive to a solid rear axle. 3 disk brakes, 2 front 1 rear. Coil over adjustable shocks all round, looking like penske's at the moment.
Fly by wire throttle control

Running a K91 electric motor
Controller: We have 1 but there was some concern so testing is being done. Currently have a curtis.
Batteries: Looks like we have the final choice but they are still doing some testing. Though they are coming from a funny source, once confirmed i will post a proper specs sheet.
We are not aiming for a long run time, just a quick 1.

It is a fairly serious event, with a lot of work in just getting a car that moves and passes safety etc.
We are not competing in the same way as the RMIT F-SAE IC team is, we will be timed but we are not entering the static presentation events.

Getting involved requires at a student level you to be attending a university which competes in F-SAE. So Melbourne, RMIT, Monash, Swinburne, etc. Then just turning up to a meeting or contacting someone who is part of the team.
To be an industry partner contacting the chief engineer would be the best way and they can direct you as to what is offered by the team.

No other university that i am aware of is building an electric car, hopefully this will change next year after seeing ours in action.

Cheers
Taffy
Chief Mechanical Engineer
RMIT e-Racing 2008