Electric Bike racing?

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Clay
Groupie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Clay » Fri, 05 Sep 2008, 00:38

Been a while since I've posted, with the wind seemingly out of the sails of the Electrathon idea. Unfortunately only one other WA eV challenge competitor was interested in a new, faster, safer event.

However, what about a race for electric bikes? Most of the motors, controller and battery packs used in the eV Challenge came from bike conversion kits, and it would negate the need for a newcomer to design and build a car from scratch.

You could get into the racing quickly and on a fairly low budget and progressively develop your bike. If we kept the motor power below 200W we could legally run anywhere - time trial events at Rottnest, around places like Bibra Lake, along the foreshore etc...

My initial idea would be to base the rules on the International Gravity Sports Association (IGSA) Gravity bike rules, and add on an electric motor. These basically dictate a BMX style of bike with 20" wheels. Some of them look pretty wild with MotoGP style bodywork.

They wouldn't do 300km/h but racing a bike with bike brakes and tyres at 70-80km/h might be fun.

Any interest?

Thalass

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Thalass » Fri, 05 Sep 2008, 16:44

Definitely interested... except the money thing. And lack of workshop. bah.

So they'd be based around BMX bike frames? A variety of race tracks that included proper BMX tracks (and maybe tracks through actual bush, ala mountain bike racing) as well as road, would be awesome!

You could get a decent variety even in the one city, so teams wouldn't have to travel very far. Very nifty.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Clay
Groupie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Clay » Sat, 06 Sep 2008, 05:05

Lack of a workshop shouldn't be an issue - most of the bike kits are bolt-on. Racing on BMX tracks could be interesting. I'd thought mainly of road tracks but jumps could be cool!

Clay
Groupie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Clay » Sun, 07 Sep 2008, 20:58

Just thinking about your earlier reply Thlass, the use of BMX frames in gravity biking doesn't meant they would be on BMX tracks - they are road racers, which would be my idea.

Thalass

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Thalass » Wed, 10 Sep 2008, 03:38

I'd like a variety of different track types, myself, but there's nothing wrong with road racing :D

Clay
Groupie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Clay » Wed, 10 Sep 2008, 05:37

Well I've got a 200W motor with a 24V LiPO pack just lying around at school, so we're going to give it a crack.

If anyone would care to try as well, use a max 200W motor on a BMX frame and the wheels need to be 20" BMX wheels. You can stretch the wheelbase to 1270mm (50 inches) and it can't weigh less than 20kg without a rider. And make sure you've got brakes...

Let me know if you're keen...

Clay
Groupie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Clay » Tue, 23 Sep 2008, 01:00

I got the bike running on friday arvo and it was a bit of a laugh. Not too quick mind you, but it was blowing pretty hard and the aerodynamics are somewhat, ah, upright. But we were averaging about 30km/h (on a twisty track as well!) from an old 20 inch bmx/mountain bike bunky. Put the same motor and batteries in a light frame with a few aero mods, with slick tyres at 110psi...

I'll post some pics shortly. Maybe even a vid on youtube of what we've done. Hope a few of you guys are interested

woody

Electric Bike racing?

Post by woody » Tue, 23 Sep 2008, 04:44

Clay wrote:Hope a few of you guys are interested
I am !
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Thalass

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Thalass » Fri, 26 Sep 2008, 17:26

I am too! I just don't have the cash right now. Stupid new government putting the shared equity thing on hold. Image

pottsy
Noobie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by pottsy » Tue, 14 Oct 2008, 22:47

I would love to see some pictures. just been on the gravity bike website.

As far as it being legal, at least in Tasmania(where i am based), the 200w rule only applies to aux motors (so the bikes would need pedals?) You could probably argue with the authorities about that though.

Clay
Groupie

Electric Bike racing?

Post by Clay » Wed, 15 Oct 2008, 19:08

Yeah you might be right. Saying that our illustrious government is so efficient... I emailed them about that very issue - would we need pedals? - about six weeks ago and do you think I've recieved any kind of reply?...