Thanks for adding an EV Racing section

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Post by zeva » Wed, 16 Jan 2008, 03:12

In my opinion it's the high performance EVs which give the most exposure and show people what's possible. There are quite a few fantastic EVs racing in the US now which are getting a lot of media coverage (e.g Killacycle, White Zombie, Current Eliminator, Electric Imp) - I look forward to the day when we aussies can give them a run for their money!

So I hereby announce my intentions to have the quickest electric vehicle in the southern hemisphere by the end of 2008 Image (I guess I'm talking quarter miles here, though if all goes well the MX5 should be a great little track car as well..)

And here's the car I'm going to do it with: http://zeva.com.au/registry.php?id=1

Anyone else shooting for performance with their conversion?
Last edited by zeva on Tue, 15 Jan 2008, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Wed, 16 Jan 2008, 04:54

Hi Ian,

i might hav to finally do that 96v mod to my scooter to keep up:p lol
do bikes count?:P

matt

Andrew
Groupie

Post by Andrew » Wed, 16 Jan 2008, 05:04

Definately agreed that EVs are about performance! Next conversion will be a performance EV for sure! Rob, our AEVA Media Officer, came up with the description/tag line for this EV racing section. Image

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Post by zeva » Wed, 16 Jan 2008, 05:10

Yeah, bikes count too. Arguably it's much cheaper/easier to build a high performance motorbike because everything is about 1/4 the size (and hence cost), so I guess I've got my work cut out for me if I want this 1 tonne MX5 to beat any of the electric bikes out there! (Nobody's planning to make something like Killacycle I hope, or my poor MX5 won't stand a chance..)

I guess I should add the caveat.. fastest road-legal EV in the southern hemisphere. It's just not feasible for roadgoing vehicles to compete with purpose built drag or race cars!

(That said, I'd love to build an electric dragster one day too)
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Wed, 16 Jan 2008, 06:43

Well, I do have my (allegedly) 35hp PMG powered open wheeler under construction now. The chassis is strong enough to handle lots more power (over engineered somewhat) and it will look something like a Formula SAE car. Aiming for a vehicle weight of 100kg with batteries.

I still don;t know what the bodywork will look like - I'm thinking something either like a pre-war Mercedes W165 or my favourite F1 car of all time - Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell 001.

Anyway, once it's running I'll bring it along to one of the WAEVA nights...

Mick
Noobie

Post by Mick » Tue, 22 Jan 2008, 05:20

G'day all
I have only just joined the AEVA and have just found this forum
Myself and a mate have built an electric motorbike to go landspeed racing at Lake Gairdner (salt lake) in South Australia in March.
We were going to race last March but drove all ther way there from Bathurst to find the meeting had been cancelled due to the salt being to wet

Anyway we are going again this year and hope to set a DLRA (Dry Lakes Racers Australia) record. This should not be to hard as there currently is no record for an electric bike and we only need to complete a successful timed run over a flying Km. Image

stuartri
Groupie

Post by stuartri » Tue, 22 Jan 2008, 23:08

Best of luck in your endevour Mick.

Do you have any details or a web link for the land speed records as I would not mind entering my new rev2 design in such an event.

Stuart

Mick
Noobie

Post by Mick » Wed, 23 Jan 2008, 06:56

Stuart
This is the Australian Landracing site DLRA
This will show you all the records they have
Also look in the forum under General Information where a few of us have been talking about electric vehicles

Mick
Noobie

Post by Mick » Wed, 12 Mar 2008, 05:07

G'day
Well last week was when we should of been racing our electric bike at the Dry Lake Racers Australia speed trials at Lake Gairdner
But unfortunately it was called off again due to the salt being to wet.

At least this time we new before the event and did not travel over for nothing like last year

When it was called off we stopped rebuilding the bike but now we are going to finish it and look for other events before the next speed trials in March 09

We might try off street drag racing at Eastern Creek if they have a category for us and will let us run   

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Mon, 17 Mar 2008, 12:44

I'm aiming for performance of a sort with my conversion (now that it's more or less solidified in my head). I'm aiming for a decent off-road performer - though in order to have a decent range I'll have to build it as a series hybrid. But BEV is the first stage, and I figure if I can get enough battery range for my daily commute it'll still count 90% of the time. :P
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Mick
Noobie

Post by Mick » Tue, 03 Mar 2009, 02:58

Well its that time of year again

On Friday the 6th of March we are loading our electric bike up to once again try and run it at the Dry Lakes Racing Australia Speed Week meeting at Lake Gairdiner in South Australia

This is our third attempt as the last 2 meetings were canceled due to the salt lake being too wet

Hopefully it will all go well and I will post our results on this forum when we return some time after the 14th March

Electrocycle
MSN: dumhed@dumhed.com

Post by Electrocycle » Tue, 03 Mar 2009, 04:59

excellent :)
Good luck!

After that maybe you can have a go at my lap record :P
The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things