family city car - doable?

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
cram
Noobie

Post by cram » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 19:44

Ok, I've had a look at a lot of the cars here - most are small, limited seating or storage.

the idea is hat we have two cars - this one for day to day city stuff (we live inner city brisbane and most trips are probably 5-10km with some longer ones of 40-50km return) and a landcruiser to take us camping/longer trips/tow the trailer etc.

I'm after a mid-sized sedan:
- with a boot (for shopping)
- at least 4 seats (with at least two child restraints in the rear)
- air conditioning (this is qld after all)
- relatively modern with safety (air bags)

range 60-80km
top speed 80-100km/hr

was thinking corolla, polo sedan (classic), astra or similar?

any examples out there?

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 20:12

The Greenie in me says for less than 10 km, ride a bike. Get an e-bike if you don't want to arrive sweaty. You can carry a lot of stuff on the back of a bike if you plan well.

If you need to drive from say West End to Stafford, then across to Mt CooTha and back to West End, then an electric car makes sense.

It might sound a bit simplistic, but the cheapest kWh is the one you don't need.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 20:52

Can't think of any off the top of my head.
Most people are happy to use lower cost cells at the expense of the boot or rear seat.

I don't see a reason you couldn't do it.
You just have to pay extra for higher energy density cells.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

Jeff Owen
Groupie

Post by Jeff Owen » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 21:01

cram wrote: Ok, I've had a look at a lot of the cars here - most are small, limited seating or storage.

the idea is hat we have two cars - this one for day to day city stuff (we live inner city brisbane and most trips are probably 5-10km with some longer ones of 40-50km return) and a landcruiser to take us camping/longer trips/tow the trailer etc.

range 60-80km
top speed 80-100km/hr

any examples out there?

Nissan Leaf.

cram
Noobie

Post by cram » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 21:06

jonescg wrote: The Greenie in me says for less than 10 km, ride a bike. Get an e-bike if you don't want to arrive sweaty. You can carry a lot of stuff on the back of a bike if you plan well.

If you need to drive from say West End to Stafford, then across to Mt CooTha and back to West End, then an electric car makes sense.

It might sound a bit simplistic, but the cheapest kWh is the one you don't need.

Thats what happens now!
Only its plus 2 kids (3 years and 8 weeks) now + their gear + shopping.

sweaty yes - no problem I ride around in the mornings and evenings, but dragging kids around on bikes in the middle of a 30+OC day is just not going to happen. My wife is not a confident cyclist at the best of times - is that isn't an option for her.

BTW - I am (as one my many projects) putting together a cargo bike...

seriously - we use a car now - just looking at potential for EV for the city to offset a cruiser for camping trips.

In my mind - one of the biggest issues with evs isn't range or speed, but ácceptability and practicality. - we need 4-5 seats, a boot/storage and air-con....!.

will keep looking and doing some research.
Last edited by cram on Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

cram
Noobie

Post by cram » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 21:13

Jeff Owen wrote:
cram wrote: Ok, I've had a look at a lot of the cars here - most are small, limited seating or storage.

range 60-80km
top speed 80-100km/hr

any examples out there?

Nissan Leaf.

at $50k new...I'd buy a fully speced bluemotion golf diesel...

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 13 Nov 2012, 21:18

Here's a Polo in NSW.
http://www.evalbum.com/3577

cram
Noobie

Post by cram » Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 00:17

Johny wrote: Here's a Polo in NSW.
http://www.evalbum.com/3577

Hey johny -
I have found that one (on his site - which didn;t have as much info) - and its the only one which meets the criteria.

I'll do some costings.

this is the car that ev's need for things to go mainstream.

i think VW have an electric VW golf due out next year (proba not here though)...

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 16:26

Electric cargo bikes are awesome! Matt Parkes has built one over here in Perth and it's a beast.

As for a conversion, if you want an EV with all the fruit and performs really well, it's not that far a stretch (an extra $10-15k) for a ready-made one such as the iMiEV or a Leaf. However, if you're like most of us, a tinkerer, you will gain lots of satisfaction from building your own.

Finding the volume inside the car for all the batteries is the biggest issue, I think. Weight can be adjusted for, and there's more headroom. But volume is a fixed number, unfortunately.

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 20:55

The "ev-Trial" evworks did using the Ford focus seems to be about right.
I have no conformation on the range though.
Zeva any hints on range of these conversions?

All batteries are out of the boot and back seat.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 23:32

What about a VW Kombi? Classic looks, plenty of room for kids and batteries and groceries etc. No one expects you to go fast but the original 1800 engine in a '74 bay only produced 58hp and they got along alright so certainly doable.
Electric aircon from the batteries using the standard automotive stuff and the masterflux compressor.
A classic like a split window (50-67) or Bay model (68-78) would be more expensive but a T25(79-80) or T3 (80-83) are at near give away prices, these were the flat panel kombis where the earlier bay had rounded panels. The bay is the kombi with a big single windscreen (bay window) and comes in 2 models, the early low light (68-73) and late bay (74-78) the '74 was the most produced Kombi in Aust. These are becoming collectors items much like the split window so prices can be rather high and climbing but all parts are still available.

T1 Terry
Last edited by T1 Terry on Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Green but want to learn

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 23:40

Kombi's were heavy, but as you say, plenty of room for batteries. The later model ones would be much lighter. $10k would get you about 20 kWh of LiFePO4, and you could comfortably fit this into the lower bodywork.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry » Thu, 15 Nov 2012, 02:02

when consider the little engines they used they can't have been that bad as far as weight/rollability if that's a word. for a very low tech engine they still returned 6km/ltr or better and easily cruised at 100km/h, mine a bit faster than that and on LPG but I'm a lead foot Image seriously thought of doing a conversion on mine but I need it to be the tow vehicle behind the big bus project so distance capable is a consideration, a long way between powerpoints in outback Aust.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Peter C in Canberra

Post by Peter C in Canberra » Wed, 05 Dec 2012, 16:26

My 5dr charade meets those criteria which were much like yours. I have seat belts for three in the back and accommodate up to three teenagers in the rear on occasions. My range is about 70km with 45x90AH battery. Performance is very good. I have the original air con running off the motor accessory shaft. It stops when the car stops of course. I have wired the air con control through a switch and a diode so that the brake light switch can also turn on the air con. This means air con at no cost whenever I intended to slow down. In summer I tend to roll to stops with my foot on the brake just enough to pull in the air con without engaging the brakes. Ditto for coasting down hills.
My battery is behind the back seat but I still have enough room for 4-5 shopping bags. The back seat still folds down to move big stuff.
So, I see no problem with a conversion like mine or with a larger hatch such as the ones you suggest.
Daihatsu charade conversion 2009-18, iMiEV 2013-2019, Holden Volt 2018-present, on the ACT's 100% renewable electricity. Kona on order.