Salvaging a Prius

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
HindooCow
Noobie

Salvaging a Prius

Post by HindooCow »

Hi!

I'm new here - great to be part of the AEVA community!

I've been thinking about converting an EV for some time now... I've got a quick question:

Whats to stop me from buying a cheap salvage Prius, ripping the guts out, and putting it in something light, like a Moke? The only thing I can think of is maybe there would be issues with the controller needing to talk to the ECU, or something like that?

(I'm on a pretty tight budget! Just brainstorming at the moment   Image)

coulomb
Site Admin

Salvaging a Prius

Post by coulomb »

HindooCow wrote: Hi!

I'm new here - great to be part of the AEVA community!
Welcome!
What's to stop me from buying a cheap salvage Prius, ripping the guts out, and putting it in something light, like a Moke? ... Just brainstorming at the moment   Image)

Good lateral thinking. Unfortunately, a Prius isn't an all-electric vehicle; it needs a lot of work to make it all-electric, plus a relatively high voltage pack (~240 V DC), which is not great for a first time conversion.

I considered some options in this thread: How to Convert a Hybrid. (It's a longish thread; just read the first page or two.) However, I didn't think of your "transplant" idea. The Prius motors, which are very marginal as motors to move the heavy Prius body, might do fine in a light body. But it would be a bit of work to transplant them.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.