Conversion completed.

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
poprock
Groupie

Conversion completed.

Post by poprock »

Long time no post, busy with replacement for Daihatsu Sirion which decided to self immolate to teach me a lesson because I was audacious enough to connect an El Cheapo Chinese charger not realising that it did not have an automatic over-voltage cutout.It went up like a hoverboard.The fire started in the rear battery compartment and moved forward until it was slowed by the firewall which worked in reverse and stopped the fire's progress and I was able to extinguish it. Saved all under-bonnet components and four batteries. The car was a $350 special bought four years ago so no loss. What loss did hurt was the compliance for the vehicle (RMS engineer and electrician ); refunds were received for rego & insurance.

Being old and stupid I bought the shell of a conversion first done by Jon Pels from Darwin in 2009 (http://www.evalbum.com/2513).(It is on the web) It is a Suzuki Super Carry. To you guys the specs are as boring as batpoo :-ADC 8", no clutch,homemade adaptor,AXE7230,UP28 vacuum pump, 7 Seamaster 80AH,.massive 15k range. First is locked out because I do not intend to pull any elephants out of bogs and could be dangerous to an unfamiliar driver.Top speed is estimated at 85k. As I live 1.5k from the main shopping centres and all our activities are no more than a 5k round trip it is a great run-around. Oh, and when you look at the pics I have used black cloth tape to cover the lairy signage. Graffiti vandals in Woolies carpark would love the challenge. Very frustrating having an unusual vehicle and not being able to brag.

[ Edited Coulomb: clickable link ]
Last edited by coulomb on Fri, 20 Jan 2017, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.

Johny

Conversion completed.

Post by Johny »

So sad to hear of the disaster Brian.
I can't help but mis-quote "There but for the Grace of God go I". (no, I'm not religious. The original was "...go John Bradford").
We are messing with a lot of power and it's painful for you but good for many (including me) to get a reminder every now and then.
I like the new vehicle - evalbum says it uses a SepEx motor (not an ADC8). Did the builder swap it out?
Last edited by Johny on Fri, 20 Jan 2017, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

PlanB

Conversion completed.

Post by PlanB »

I had a 500whr ev scooter pack turn itself into a firework a year or two back & that was a sobering experience. Every time I get the urge to tinker with the Leaf traction pack I remember the episode & occupy myself with something else.

poprock
Groupie

Conversion completed.

Post by poprock »

I bought the van from Mark, a solar power installer in the New England area. He had sold the power train so the only advantage was well made battery boxes. It was in sad condition because of sitting in a paddock for some years, but had potential as a utility vehicle. The engineer killed the two rear seats because of the commercial weight formula.The only problem mechanically is the rear gearbox seals chewing out. A new uni joint hasn't improved this. This problem is one that was discussed some years ago on the DIY.EV site. The centreline of the diff pinion and the crankshaft must be parallel but not necessarily in line, or a vibration will result.I did not have any reference point to work with for the front of the motor other than visual guesswork.Using diff oil has reduced leakage but has slowed the gear change.A grid system on the shed floor would give the horizontal sweet spot, which appears to have the front of the motor too far to the right side at the moment, and by my old eyes the vertical needs to drop 15mm to be parallel to the pinion. I can achieve this by re-arranging the mounting rubbers on the engine cross-member. Some more noise into the cab would not be a problem as the dog drifts off to sleep too easily now. And it will also help to make pedestrians aware of the van. Image All said and done, this type of El Cheapo conversion has been killed off by Lithium and greater distance expectations. I have persisted with DC because of my limited electrical knowledge and funding.(tight purse strings), but as a hobby it is very rewarding. On the lighter side with reference to fires, there was a news report on xmas day; a 24yr old Sydney man said he was charging his newly gifted drone in the lounge room when a fire broke out. His name was Bindare Dundat   Image

poprock
Groupie

Conversion completed.

Post by poprock »

Interesting news item from EVLN re frequency of vehicle fires:-"There's a car fire in the United States every two minutes, but if a Tesla or a Nissan Leaf catches fire, you're going to see it on tonight's news," Klock said. "This is new technology, not more dangerous technology. We just need to train our first- and second-responders how to deal with these new vehicles."
[© 2017 Mountain View Online] 3 cheers for our man Klock!