recharge points long term view

Open for any sort of non-technical discussion regarding EVs
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Sun, 24 May 2009, 22:04

Um, and solar thermal provides power at night and cloudy periods. You still need backup generation for long rain periods, like SE Queensland happens to be having at present. But you need backup power for coal fired generation too, in case there is a sudden load surge.

Edit: when the sun doesn't shine -> cloudy periods.

The existing coal plants could be the backup for the solar thermal plants Image
Last edited by coulomb on Sun, 24 May 2009, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

juk
Groupie

Post by juk » Sun, 24 May 2009, 23:23

weber wrote:

No. That's not debatable. Anyone who teaches uppercase "K" for *1000 is simply wrong. This stuff is all written down in an international standard ISO_31, the corresponding Australian Standard refers to that. Yes it is unfortunate that the lowercase "k" for kilo is an exception to the "uppercase for positive powers" rule. But that's how it is. As well as the symbol for the kelvin temperature unit, uppercase "K" is also used to mean *1024 in relation to bits and bytes.

Y'know what sh1ts me, the use of lowercase 'm' for million in the media. Every time i see that something is going to cost $10m, i think that's cheap, only one cent. Now they've started doing it with billions, where they use the symbol for barn (a really tiny unit of area) instead of the prefix for giga.
Last edited by juk on Sun, 24 May 2009, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

htial
Groupie

Post by htial » Sun, 24 May 2009, 23:32

See...   ...This is just another reason I should have done more science for my VCE...   ...Instead of fun stuff like drama and lit...   ...And other things that I was really good at...

Squiggles

Post by Squiggles » Mon, 25 May 2009, 00:07

juk wrote:
weber wrote:

No. That's not debatable. Anyone who teaches uppercase "K" for *1000 is simply wrong. This stuff is all written down in an international standard ISO_31, the corresponding Australian Standard refers to that. Yes it is unfortunate that the lowercase "k" for kilo is an exception to the "uppercase for positive powers" rule. But that's how it is. As well as the symbol for the kelvin temperature unit, uppercase "K" is also used to mean *1024 in relation to bits and bytes.

Y'know what sh1ts me, the use of lowercase 'm' for million in the media. Every time i see that something is going to cost $10m, i think that's cheap, only one cent. Now they've started doing it with billions, where they use the symbol for barn (a really tiny unit of area) instead of the prefix for giga.

When I was a kid (it's a while back) a billion was a million million, now it is only a thousand million...who changed that rule?
What has this got to do with recharging? Um....

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Mon, 25 May 2009, 00:40

It about US billion (10^9) verses British billion (10^12), and the hegemony and sheer power of the US when it comes to economic matters.

Or should I say "when it came to economic matters" ? Image

And now, back to the topic of recharging points.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

louiseobrien
Noobie

Post by louiseobrien » Tue, 03 Nov 2009, 19:02

Before we draft a letter we need to have a set of national standards that we believe should be implemented. Once we have done this, it would be good if the AEVA had a meeting with the Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government to find out where they are at and to put the suggestions forward.

I have started a thread in the general discussion area called marketing and branding to help cover this aspect.
Marketeer

djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe » Tue, 03 Nov 2009, 20:44

The Tesla has an optional ($US3000) 70A high power charge cord. Prob uses the VSD circuitry to charge but you need to get a sparky to put it an outlet for you. It would have to go back to the switchboard. We lesser beings should be happy with 20A 3ph/20A or 1 ph 15A. On my next long distance trip Ill need 4 15A outlets.

louiseobrien
Noobie

Post by louiseobrien » Wed, 04 Nov 2009, 21:41

Could this website please list the name and contact details of companies that are able to install EV charging stations so that councils and companies wanting to install them know who to contact.
Marketeer

djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe » Wed, 04 Nov 2009, 23:35

Nothing fancy reqd. Just outside GPOs 20A single phase suggest 3 each.
D

djsharpe
Groupie

Post by djsharpe » Wed, 04 Nov 2009, 23:36

Also just any local sparky's job. D

Squiggles

Post by Squiggles » Thu, 05 Nov 2009, 02:44

With the current rebate arrangements for installation of solar power systems the forward thinking businesses might see opportunity in this.

The cost of installing a couple of 20A outlets could easily be absorbed in the installation cost of a 3kW solar system, then when the sun shines they either get paid for putting energy on the grid or they supply power to EVs for minimum cost.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri, 26 Feb 2010, 16:37

weber wrote: Wouldn't make much difference to the area whether it was PV or solar thermal. Might make some difference to the cost, but not much difference.
[Edit: Added "not" to make "but not much"]

Sorry to drag this discussion up again, but we had this discussion at work the other day. I believe that solar thermal has an advantage over photovoltaic, in that PV panels lose efficiency as the temperature rises, but solar thermal works better on a hotter day. (well, as long as the system can handle it).
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Fri, 26 Feb 2010, 19:13

Thalass wrote:   believe that solar thermal has an advantage over photovoltaic, in that PV panels lose efficiency as the temperature rises, but solar thermal works better on a hotter day. (well, as long as the system can handle it).

some amorphous panels have peak efficiency at panel temp 45 deg C.

though all in all, its generally the job of the installer to assess which is the best choice (ie compare operation at actual operating temperature)

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells