First Tesla Supercharger in Regional NSW
TESLA CHARGE STATION FOR GOULBURN NSW
~Installation of the Hume Highways first Tesla charging stations are set to begin end July 2015.
The eight electric car charging stations will be located in Goulburn at the Visitor Information Centre – the first in Australia outside of a metropolitan area.Construction of the power outlets will begin this Monday, 27 July and continue until Friday, 5 September with minor works to follow before the stations will be usable.
The installation of the Tesla chargers follows a leasing agreement between Tesla and Goulburn Mulwaree Council, signed in May. The partnership with Tesla cements Goulburn’s reputation in the sustainability sector, as a progressive regional city driving the agenda for change.
The project will be no small feat, necessitating the removal of a number of trees and shrubs to make way for the transformer and enclosed substation. A temporary office will also be built for the duration of the charger construction. Additionally, 11 car parks will be inaccessible and pedestrian access will be affected around the Goulburn Visitor Information Centre during the five week work period.
A launch event will be planned in conjunction with Tesla, details to be announced.
· The city is located two hours from Sydney, one from Canberra, seven hours from Melbourne.
· Goulburn Mulwaree Council has a number of other initiatives and partnerships that actively encourage a sustainable community such as:
o The Woodlawn Bioreactor is located in the Goulburn Mulwaree Local Government Area and has received planning permission to approximately double its intake of waste to 1.1million tons p.a.
o Installing 53 solar street lights along a 3km road in the newest subdivision area - one of the largest installations of solar street lights to date in Australia.
· The Goulburn Group (a community group committed to sustainable development in the region) hosts the Goulburn Connects sustainability festival. The Tesla S was on show at last year’s Goulburn Connects festival before it even went on sale in Australia. The festival will be on again this year, again featuring electric vehicles and other innovative products based around renewable technologies.
Tesla charging stations
· Stations will be free for Tesla owners to use.
· Stations will charge a Tesla in 20-30 minutes.
· Tesla vehicles can travel 500km between charges.
MEDIA RELEASE 21/07/2015 ~ www.goulburnaustralia.com.au